Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED]DB2 File Titles/Constant Computes/Constant Defines

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED]DB2 File Titles/Constant Computes/Constant Defines
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
We currently have some process where we are taking a file and building a DB2 that is then used for reporting. I was curious if as part of building that file we can create defines/computes/titles on the master file in Web FOCUS.

I know we could create a 2nd master file that points to the DB2 that contians these attributes but I was hoping to avoid having the clutter and confusion of 2 master files for 1 actual file.

Forgive me if this is a silly question of if there is some simpler way to solve this problem, we are usually able to just report straight form our files and are newer to creating these tables that are then used for reporting.

Thanks,

-Luke

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

Web Focus 8105
Windows 7

Expert
posted Hide Post
Are you building the master ?

What is the process.

I think you could do this and have one master

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
One benefit of keeping two separate master files is that when you recreate or refresh the metadata your DEFINEs COMPUTEs and TITLEs won't be overwritten. But if everything is in a single master you'll have to keep track of all the additional objects that don't exist in the DB2 table.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waz:
Are you building the master ?

What is the process.

I think you could do this and have one master

Waz,

I am building both the Master and the DB2 and below is a fake example of what my code looks like.

APP PREPENDPATH webfocus_folder
APP HOLD webfocus_folder
SQL DB2 SET ISOLATION NC

-SET ASNAMES = ON

DEFINE FILE filename
DEFINE1/D1=1;
DEFINE2/D2=2;
END

TABLE FILE filename
SUM
     DEFINE1 AS 'NEW_NAME1'
     DEFINE2 AS 'NEW_NAME2'
     FIELD1 AS 'NEW_NAME3'
     FIELD2 AS 'NEW_NAME4'
BY FIELD3 AS 'NEW_NAME5'
BY FIELD4  AS 'NEW_NAME6'
ON TABLE HOLD AS webfocus_folder/saved_filename FORMAT DB2 TABLENAME server_library/db2_name
END 

This process is doing what I want for the most part, the exception being that I dont know how to create new titles and constant defines/computes. I tried doing it on the master file but unfortunatley that gets created but the issue with that option is that once i run the procedure again it wipes the changes i made when creating the new file. If there is a way to define these elements of the master file within the code i would be happy to add that, i am just not familiar with how to do that or if it can even be done.

Thanks,

-Luke

Web Focus 8105
Windows 7

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BabakNYC:
One benefit of keeping two separate master files is that when you recreate or refresh the metadata your DEFINEs COMPUTEs and TITLEs won't be overwritten. But if everything is in a single master you'll have to keep track of all the additional objects that don't exist in the DB2 table.

is there a way to keep track of all the extra objects? Depending on how that is done it might work better for me to use that process.

If you have an example of how to track those i would appreciate seeing it.

Thanks,

-Luke

Web Focus 8105
Windows 7

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Luke:
You can assign TITLE to a DEFINE as follows:
DEFINE FILE CAR
PROFIT/D12.2 TITLE 'Profit' = RCOST -DCOST;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM PROFIT
BY COUNTRY
END

Also, ASNAME is a SET command that sets the environment not a -SET (which is used to populate an &Variable).

SET ASNAME effects the way a field is put in a HOLD file so you should look up the documentation to make sure you're getting the results you expect.

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BabakNYC:
Luke:
You can assign TITLE to a DEFINE as follows:
DEFINE FILE CAR
PROFIT/D12.2 TITLE 'Profit' = RCOST -DCOST;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM PROFIT
BY COUNTRY
END

Also, ASNAME is a SET command that sets the environment not a -SET (which is used to populate an &Variable).

SET ASNAME effects the way a field is put in a HOLD file so you should look up the documentation to make sure you're getting the results you expect.

Thanks for the heads up about the difference between SET and -SET, I will take a look at the documentation.

Also i see how to define the title of a define, is there a way to do that for a Sum and By fields?

Thanks,

-Luke

Web Focus 8105
Windows 7

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
SUM RCOST AS 'Retail,Cost'

AS xxx should do it, but if you want it in the HOLD file follow the rules of SET ASNAME and SET HOLDATTR

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BabakNYC,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Luke,
Since you create your MASTER dynamically, you have to add your DEFINEs & COMPUTEs dynamically also.
Here is a small example using the app DANNY:

APP HOLD DANNY
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM RETAIL_COST DEALER_COST
BY COUNTRY 
BY CAR
ON TABLE HOLD AS SCAR
END
-RUN
FILEDEF SCARMAS DISK DANNY/SCAR.MAS (APPEND
-RUN
-WRITE SCARMAS COMPUTE PROFIT/D6 = RETAIL_COST - DEALER_COST; ,TITLE=Profit, $
-RUN
TABLE FILE SCAR
PRINT RETAIL_COST DEALER_COST COMPUTE PROFIT;
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
END

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post