Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Confused about odin.cfg file, Dev Studio client & DS local reporting server

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] Confused about odin.cfg file, Dev Studio client & DS local reporting server
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
If I have a remote reporting server node specified in the odin.cfg under [drive]:\ibi\DevStudio76\srv76\wfs\etc, and I'm running Dev Studio 7.6.4 and am running the included local reporting server, does that mean that:

(a) The WF client part of Dev Studio connects directly to the remote reporting server when executing a focexec under Data Servers/[remote reporting server]/Applications/[my folder]/Procedures

or

(b) This is a hub sub configuration where the WF client connects to my local reporting server first and then my local reporting server passes the request to the remote reporting server. The results are then passed back through both reporting serv ers to DS where I see the results in the browser.

I'm unsure how to tell the difference because it seems like the odin.cfg under srv76\wfs applies to the local client in DS as well as my local reporting server EDASERVE. Is that correct?

If I go out to my local reporting server console I see the remote reporting server under Data Adapters then Remote Servers and also under Workspace then Remote Servers. If I open the WebFOCUS Administration Console (for the local DS client) and look under Reporting Servers and Remote Services I see the same remote reporting server. The CLASS is CLIENT. How would I know if I had a hub sub configuration (DS client --> my local reporting server --> remote reporting server) vs a direct wf client (Dev Studio) to remote reporting server connection? Would I see a difference between what I see in my local reporting server console vs what's in the WebFOCUS Administration console? I've read the docs where it mentions that both of these configurations can be set up but I'm still a little fuzzy on the difference. Or am I misundertanding the whole thing?

I've seen on other boxes, where we have a separate full WF client install and a separate WF reporting server install, that there's 2 odin.cfg files, one under the client/wfc directory and one under srvxx/wfs. I've seen where they contain different remote server nodes. Is this where the fact that Dev Studio is not actually a full WF client install makes a difference? I'm just trying to understand this better because I'd like to find out which configuration is going to give the best performance when running focexecs on the remote reporting server. I would imagine the direct config but I just want to be sure I'm doing it right. The fact that there's only 1 odin.cfg for my Dev Studio installation is what's confusing me I think.

Thanks for any help.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

FOCUS 7.7.03
WebFOCUS 8.0.x/8.1
z/OS, Windows

Posts: 54 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: September 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm a bit confused about what you are asking but let me describe briefly what goes on and see if this helps you understand.

I also have a remote installation of WebFOCUS and a full-blown version of Dev Studio. Dev Studio stand-alone is not WebFOCUS. WebFOCUS actually lives on your remote box. That is where Data Servers should be pointing in addition to localhost. For instance, if you go to File/Show Environments, you will be able to add mutiple configurations to point to your various installations. You can set up one for localhost to talk to your local DS reporting server. You can set up another one, i.e. STPSERVE, to talk to your remote server. When you configure each, you specify the server name and port number for the servlet. For the latter, the web server name will NOT be localhost.

Now, let's talk about the odin.cfg files. They are, by definition, communications configuration files. The reporting server one is a listener (most often unless it's a hub) one and can be found in the serv76/etc directory. The one for the WebFOCUS client, found in the webfocus76/client/wfc/etc directory, is a client config file. This is the one that is managed by the WebFOCUS Administration Console. So Dev Studio talks to the WF Client odin.cfg which can then re-direct the request to the Report Server odin.cfg.

You should not be doing hub/sub from your localhost reporting server to your 'real' server where all your production files are.

I hope this helps. Ask more questions if this doesn't completely clarify it for you.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply.

My setup is:

I have 1 environment, localhost, in DS where I have EDASERVE and another remote server, IWAYC, under Data Servers. EDASERVE (the local reporting server) is running.
IWAYC is an iWay 7.6.5 server running on our mainframe. I can access it's reporting server console by going to it's HTTP listener port on the mainframe's IP address.

So I left click on EDASERVE in Data Servers then click the WebFOCUS Administration Console icon and go to
http://localhost:8080/ibi_apps/console/webfocusconsole.jsp
. I see both EDASERVE and IWAYC listed as Remote Services (left pane) under Reporting Servers.

Then I close that browser window and click on the WebFOCUS Reporting Server icon in DS and go to
http://localhost:8080/ibi_apps/webconsole/iwaynode_EDASERVE/webconsole
. There I see both EDASERVE and IWAYC by going to Workspace then Remote Servers as well as on the Data Adapters page. I have no Data Adapters there.

My question is: why do I see both EDASERVE *and* IWAYC as remote servers when I'm looking at the EDASERVE reporting server console? Does seeing that mean that EDASERVE is acting as a hub server and IWAYC as a subserver? When I see both in the *client* admin console then it would seem the client (DS) would directly access both EDASERVE and IWAYC, which is what I want. But why do both show up in the EDASERVE reporting server console as well? That's what's kind of confusing.

I know both client and EDASERVE consoles are looking at the odin.cfg file in c:\ibi\DevStudio76\srv76\etc and both are defined in that odin.cfg. There is no odin.cfg in c:\ibi\DevStudio76\client\wfc\etc. So that would seem to explain my question kind of.

What I want is to make sure I'm *not* doing a hub sub and that DS is connecting directly to IWAYC when I execute a focexec on IWAYC. I can actually browse my masters and focexecs in IWAYC under Data Servers and the masters are not synonyms. They're the actual masters on the mainframe in my PDS. Same with the focexecs. So that should mean that DS is connecting directly to IWAYC, correct, since I don't need to create synonyms of those IWAYC masters on EDASERVE?

Hopefully that was a little clearer. Thanks for any help.

FOCUS 7.7.03
WebFOCUS 8.0.x/8.1
z/OS, Windows

Posts: 54 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: September 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You should have 2 separate environments under Show Environments, one to point to localhost and your local server and another one (let's call it MFEDASRV) to point to the mainframe web server and reporting server. If you do that, in DS under WebFOCUS Environments, you should see 2 entries, one for localhost and on for MFEDASRV. If you click on the plus sign for either one or both, you should see a Data Servers. Under that will be the reporting servers for each one.

Where is the web server for IWAYC? Is it on the mainframe as well?

You should not be using a stand-alone version of DS as a true WebFOCUS client.

If you like, you can send me your email and I can send you pictures of what this is all supposed to look like. Something about your config just doesn't sound right.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
There is no web server/app server running on the mainframe and that's why I don't have a separate Environment for the IWAYC mainframe iWay server and why I added it to the localhost Environment. I figured I had to use my local Dev Studio client to point at the mainframe iWay server because of that fact. We do have another Windows box running a full 7.6 WF client install that also points at this same mainframe iWay server and I could add that other Window box as a new Environment. But how is that different from using the local client in my DS to point at the mainframe iWay server? Does DS act differently than a full client install? That's what it sounds like you're saying when mentioning DS shouldn't be used like a true WF client install.

I have added other Environments before so I know what you mean and how to do it. I can add this other Windows server with the full client install. If I do add it and I see this IWAYC remote server under Data Servers in both my localhost Environment and the new Environment I added, is there actually a difference between those? Even if everything in it as far as folders, etc. is exactly the same. That's what I'm confused about, I guess. I keep hearing "hub sub" mentioned around here. Is hub sub possible from within DS and is that what I'm inadvertently doing by adding this mainframe iWay server to my localhost Environment? It sounds like I don't want to do hub sub if I don't have to so the performance of running queries is better.

Thanks a lot for the help. I'm going to ask around here too.

FOCUS 7.7.03
WebFOCUS 8.0.x/8.1
z/OS, Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does DS act differently than a full client install?

DS is not WebFOCUS. You should take IWAYC out of your localhost configuration and just use it to access files on your local machine. Use your other environment with the WF client on the Windows box to access the IWAYC reporting server.

With hub/sub, you have to generate synonyms (SUFFIX=EDA masters) on the 'hub' box to get to the sub box. There has to be a remote server definition on the hub to do this. What then happens in the best of all possible worlds is that all the data is retrieved from the sub, transferred to the hub, and then the report is prepared to deliver to the client. I think you don't want that happening on your PC. Not to mention the administrative nightmare.

Stick with your Windows WF Client/MF Reporting Server environment. I think you will be happier.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Ginny