Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Opening FEXes from Excel's HYPERLINK Function - NOT WORKING

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Opening FEXes from Excel's HYPERLINK Function - NOT WORKING
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Has anyone figured out how to open fexes from within Excel 2007 using the =HYPERLINK function? Say I have a fex called test.fex located on a Windows 2003 WebFOCUS Reporting Server. If I try to open this using the editor I have associated with the .fex extension by clicking on a hyperlink pointed to it in Excel 2007, nothing happens..well an hourglass shows for a few seconds then nothing. Now if I do nothing else, but rename this file test.txt, and edit my Excel hyperlink to point to the newly renamed file, then it opens fine??? Why does Excel 2007 have problems with the .fex extension?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 8.1.05, Windows Server 2012 R2

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Not sure if your drill down in EXCEL goes to HTTPS link, but if it is, then it doesn't work.

It's a known issue and IBI is in the process of fixing it.

http://techsupport.information...oblems/50992548.html

Best Regards,

Jimmy Pang

DEV: WF 7.6.10
TEST: WF 7.6.10
PROD: WF 7.6.10
MRE: WF 7.6.4
OS/Platform: Windows
Dev Studio: WF 7.7
Output: HTML, EXCEL, PDF, GRAPH, LOTUS, CSV

Posts: 117 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: February 29, 2008Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Jimmy,
Thanks, but I want to be clear. I'm not drilling from WebFOCUS into Excel. I create a link inside an Excel worksheet to merely open a fex. Excel can't open the fex. This question may be for Microsoft, but I figured someone that uses WebFOCUS would have came across this situation and might have a workaround. I often search for fexes that may be impacted by a change to our data, and I list all impacted fexes in Excel. It would be very convenient to be able to open the fexes listed thru an Excel =HYPERLINK function, but it doesn't work for .fex files for whatever reason???

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I mistaken your problem, I thought you meant creating an EXCEL report with drill downs and then clicking on the link for detail reports. That was the known issue that I was aware of.

I have just tried opening a fex file from EXCEL using a link and it doesn't work for me either (ie. link \\server\fex folder\someFex.fex). Did it used to work in the old EXCEL to see if the HYPERLINK function works before?

Best Regards,

Jimmy Pang

DEV: WF 7.6.10
TEST: WF 7.6.10
PROD: WF 7.6.10
MRE: WF 7.6.4
OS/Platform: Windows
Dev Studio: WF 7.7
Output: HTML, EXCEL, PDF, GRAPH, LOTUS, CSV

Posts: 117 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: February 29, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Just a wild guess, but check to see what application is assigned to .fex files in Explorer (Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types). Perhaps Excel is trying to open .fex files with an app that won't open correctly from within Excel. Or maybe no app is assigned so Excel doesn't know what to use to open the files.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Dan,
Thanks for the suggestion. I changed the association for .fex files to 3 different editors...including Notepad. If the editor itself was a problem, then opening the .txt named file wouldn't work either because I use the same editor for both .fex and .txt files. I think it's something particular to the .fex extension...maybe how they're registered in the Windows Registry...I don't know.

Expert
posted Hide Post
In Windows XP, Excel 2003 I have this hyperlink that works:

C:\ibi\apps\baseapp\carchainfex.fex

What does your hyperlink look like?

Does the server running Excel have access to the server where the fexes are?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Just guessing and I could be totally off base, but it sounds like a permissions issue to me. If you have the spreadsheet open on your PC and you are trying to connect to the Reporting Server to open a .fex, won't Excel need to pass a userid and password to the Reporting Server to connect?

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
yeah to re-iterate what was said above....it seems as though your associations are off...

Double check and make sure .fex is not registered anywhere as a script language or application, winblows (depending on your network permission/firewall settings) will try to block those from running if in a browser/hyperlink. Try it from a browser window (copy the hyperlink to an address bar) and see if it runs there.

Lloyd Prendergast
Michael Kors (USA), Inc.
Phone: 201-453-5076
Fax: 646-354-4776
Lloyd.Prendergast@Michaelkors.com

WebFOCUS 523
WebFOCUS 7.6
WebFOCUS 7.7

Windows Server 2005
Windows Server 2008

Iseries V5R3M0
Iseries V5R5M0
Iseries V6R1M0

Posts: 157 | Location: Secaucus, NJ | Registered: May 21, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Are you trying to open the actual .fex file that contains the code or just trying to run the fex and retrieve the results of the procedure?

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis & jgelona,
My link looks like this:
=HYPERLINK(Z:\WFS\FEX\TheFexIWantToOpen.fex)

I'm able to open a .fex file if I simply rename it to a .txt file, so Excel having access to the Reporting Server, Excel needing a user id and password, etc. are all irrelevant, I believe.

Besides, I belong to the Admin group regarding Windows security on our Reporting Server, so permissions shouldn't be a problem.

Lloyd & Darin,
I am able to paste the path/filename in Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer and the .fex file opens just fine in my properly associated text editor. I am not trying to execute the procedure. I simply want to view the code in my associated text editor.

I also tried using the UNC path in my HYPERLINK and that did not work either.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Start the registry editor.
Go to \HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.fex
You'll find a value named (Default). It's a REG_SZ value, and the string in it very probably is IBI.FocusExecutable.Icon.
Change it to 'txtfile'.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post