Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Agent crash on Across fields

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Agent crash on Across fields
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi everyone - I've searched "agent crash" on Focal Point and haven't seen this particular case, so I was wondering if anyone has had this happen. It's happened before, but I just removed the Across field and went on because I was in a hurry.

I've created a fairly simple procedure with two By fields and two Across fields, a Row total and Summarize. It worked just fine in 7.1.x but now causes an agent crash when we run it. If I turn the two Across fields into By fields, it runs fine.

Any ideas? Here's the code that makes it crash.

TABLE FILE INVOICE_DATA
SUM
GROSS_DISC_EXT/D12.2CM
BY MAJOR_CODE
BY LOGO_CODE
ACROSS CALENDAR_MONTH AS ''
ACROSS PRG_DIR_SO AS ''

ON MAJOR_CODE SUBTOTAL AS 'TOTAL'
HEADING
" "
WHERE CALENDAR_YEAR EQ &YEAR;
WHERE MAJOR_CODE EQ 'UNINX' OR 'UNITD' OR 'UNOVA' OR 'UNSPC' OR 'UNUHC' OR 'UNUHG' OR 'UNUNI';
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE ROW-TOTAL/D12.2CM AS 'TOTAL'
ON TABLE SUMMARIZE INVOICE_DATA.SHIPTO_ADDRESS.GROSS_DISC_EXT AS 'TOTAL'
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN,
SQUEEZE=ON,
ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
GRID=OFF,
FONT='TIMES NEW ROMAN',
SIZE=10,
COLOR='BLACK',
BACKCOLOR='NONE',
STYLE=NORMAL,
$
TYPE=DATA,
COLUMN=ROWTOTAL(1),
STYLE=BOLD,
$
TYPE=TITLE,
STYLE=BOLD,
JUSTIFY=CENTER,
$
TYPE=TITLE,
COLUMN=ROWTOTAL(1),
STYLE=BOLD,
$
TYPE=SUBTOTAL,
BY=1,
SIZE=11,
COLOR='BLUE',
STYLE=BOLD,
$
TYPE=ACROSSVALUE,
ACROSS=1,
STYLE=BOLD,
$
TYPE=ACROSSVALUE,
ACROSS=2,
STYLE=BOLD,
$
TYPE=ACROSSVALUE,
ACROSS=3,
JUSTIFY=CENTER,
$
TYPE=ACROSSVALUE,
COLUMN=ROWTOTAL(1),
STYLE=BOLD,
$
TYPE=ACROSSTITLE,
ACROSS=1,
JUSTIFY=CENTER,
$
TYPE=ACROSSTITLE,
ACROSS=2,
JUSTIFY=CENTER,
$
TYPE=ACROSSTITLE,
ACROSS=3,
JUSTIFY=CENTER,
$
TYPE=GRANDTOTAL,
SIZE=12,
COLOR='MAROON',
STYLE=BOLD,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

PROD: WebFocus 7.6.9 on WinXP

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Does the ACROSS still work if you remove the ROW-TOTAL column?

Any reason why you used SUMMARIZE instead of regular SUBTOTAL or COLUMNN-TOTAL?

Just trying to simplify things until we figure out the problem.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
No, I tried that already. I removed the Row Total and it still crashed. No real reason for Summarize, except that I was subtotaling by Major Code and wanted to summarize the whole report as well.

I even tried removing one of the Across fields, thinking it couldn't handle two (even though it did in previous versions) and it still crashed.

Do you think I should change the Summarize to Column-Total?

Master
posted Hide Post
Try it with recordlimit on

Across stuff kills agents when the number of across columns gets too big. See if you can stop it before that occurs with a recordlimit.

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I just tried with 50 on the Recordlimit and it still crashed.

Master
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing now

quote:

DEFINE FILE INVOICE_DATA
GROSS_DISC_EXT/D12.2CM = GROSS_DISC_EXT ;
END
TABLE FILE INVOICE_DATA
SUM
GROSS_DISC_EXT
BY MAJOR_CODE
BY LOGO_CODE
ACROSS CALENDAR_MONTH AS ''
ACROSS PRG_DIR_SO AS ''

ON MAJOR_CODE SUBTOTAL AS 'TOTAL'
HEADING
" "
WHERE CALENDAR_YEAR EQ &YEAR;
WHERE MAJOR_CODE EQ 'UNINX' OR 'UNITD' OR 'UNOVA' OR 'UNSPC' OR 'UNUHC' OR 'UNUHG' OR 'UNUNI';
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
-* Never seen this syntax before...
-* ON TABLE ROW-TOTAL/D12.2CM AS 'TOTAL'

Maybe worth a try. It's crashing on the parse by the looks of things...

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks. That worked, but only when I comment out the other Across field. It's still not allowing 2 Across fields.

When I built this procedure, it was in v.7.1.3 and I used 2 and sometimes 3 Across fields in a single procedure. They all ran fine.

Is the version the reason that it won't work or is there still something wrong with the code?

Gold member
posted Hide Post
OK, Folks -- there is definitely a ghost in the machine here.

After many frustrating moments trying to figure this out, and following some sage advice, I just gave up and re-built the blasted thing. It now works.

Beats the heck out of me, but I guess that's just going to be my standard "help desk" answer before ripping my hair out....just like they say "re-boot" I guess I'll just "re-build" LOL

Thanks for the help! See you at Summit!

Master
posted Hide Post
sos

I remember something now when we converted to 76.

On some procs we would get spurious characters at the beginning. ds does not pick these up but if you get an editor like notepad++ with the hex editor plug in you should be able to have a look for these.

It was tres funny and has stopped now so I dont know the cause but it may be worth looking into if it occurs again.