Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Hover text on column titles in Excel/PDF

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Hover text on column titles in Excel/PDF
 Login/Join

posted
Hi,
Does anyone have any idea on how to get Hover text on the column titles in Excel and PDF format reports.
On searching, I got the codes to make it work on HTML format reports as follows:

-SET &TITLE_MSG =
-  '<span style="cursor: default;" ' | 'title=''This is a Country''>Country</span>';

TABLE FILE CAR
  SUM
    SALES           AS 'Sales'
    BY COUNTRY      AS '&TITLE_MSG'
  ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
END

But i need this functionality on Excel and PDF reports as well.

I tried something like this but it functions as Hyperlink which i doesn't want.

TYPE=TITLE,
COLUMN=N2,
JAVASCRIPT=#,
ALT= 'Retailer cost description',
STYLE=-UNDERLINE,
COLOR=BLACK,
$

If i use FOCEXEC = NONE and gave ALT attribute i am not getting the report itself.

Thank you.
Arun

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

Expert
posted Hide Post
You should be able to do this in Excel, but PDF is another thing.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
This will add comments to an EXL2K format report.

DEFINE  FILE CAR
Comments/A2000 = '<div style="mso-element:comment-list"><div style="mso-element:comment"><xml>'

| '<v:shapetype id="_Comment1" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="202" path="m,l,21600r21600,l21600,xe"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/><v:path gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/></v:shapetype>'
               | '<v:shape id="comment1" type="#_Comment1" style="position:absolute;margin-left:107.25pt;margin-top:-7.5pt;width:96pt;height:55.5pt;z-index:1;visibility:hidden" fillcolor="infoBackground [80]" o:insetmode="auto">'
               | '<v:fill color2="infoBackground [80]"/><v:shadow on="t" color="black" obscured="t"/><v:path o:connecttype="none"/><v:textbox style="mso-direction-alt:auto"/><x:ClientData ObjectType="Note">'
               | '<x:MoveWithCells/><x:SizeWithCells/><x:AutoFill>False</x:AutoFill><x:Row>0</x:Row><x:Column>0</x:Column></x:ClientData></v:shape></xml>'
               | '<div v:shape="comment1" style="padding:.75pt 0pt 0pt .75pt;text-align:left" class=shape>This is the Country Column</div>'

| '<v:shapetype id="_Comment2" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="202" path="m,l,21600r21600,l21600,xe"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/><v:path gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/></v:shapetype>'
               | '<v:shape id="comment2" type="#_Comment2" style="position:absolute;margin-left:107.25pt;margin-top:-7.5pt;width:96pt;height:55.5pt;z-index:1;visibility:hidden" fillcolor="infoBackground [80]" o:insetmode="auto">'
               | '<v:fill color2="infoBackground [80]"/><v:shadow on="t" color="black" obscured="t"/><v:path o:connecttype="none"/><v:textbox style="mso-direction-alt:auto"/><x:ClientData ObjectType="Note">'
               | '<x:MoveWithCells/><x:SizeWithCells/><x:AutoFill>False</x:AutoFill><x:Row>0</x:Row><x:Column>1</x:Column></x:ClientData></v:shape></xml>'
               | '<div v:shape="comment2" style="padding:.75pt 0pt 0pt .75pt;text-align:left" class=shape>This is the Car Column</div>'

| '</div></div>' ;

END

TABLE   FILE CAR
 PRINT  
        COUNTRY   AS 'Country'
        CAR

ON TABLE SUBFOOT
 "<Comments "

ON     TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
 ON     TABLE SET STYLE *
  TYPE=REPORT, TITLETEXT='Comments', $
  TYPE=TITLE, STYLE=BOLD, $
 ENDSTYLE
 ON   TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
END

-RUN

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Waz. That works great in excel.

But that doesn't work when we have no data in our report and uses EMPTYREPORT ON.

I still keep this post open as i am working on how to get it in PDF format as well. Once i found i will post the codes and change the status of this post.

Thank you.
-Arun

Expert
posted Hide Post
I don't think you will find a solution for PDF - have you ever opened a PDF file that has a pop-up window when moving your cursor over text?

For Excel and PDF I would put the column title descriptions in a report footing (ON TABLE SUBFOOT). Alternatively, for Excel you could put them in a different tab by creating a compound report,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I suspect that PDF does support this, but WebFOCUS does not support the generation of the code in the PDF.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Guru
posted Hide Post
Back in 2011 I wanted tool tips for my graphs to appear in PDF so I opened a case with IBI and this was the result....

Updated: Apr 11, 2011 08:05 PM
Status/Action: RR/INFO

Support Group: IRT Rep: WILHELMINA HAGANS (WEH)
Severity: 3 - Application Issue

Michelle,
I've been informed by the graph division that tooltips is not supported in PDF
format. I will submit a new feature request for this functionality, you will
be contacted with additional information as it becomes available.
Regards,
Wilhelmina

and...

Updated: Dec 10, 2012 11:14 AM
Status/Action: CPGM/INFO

Support Group: RESWEB Rep: MONICA ROSA (MXV)
Severity: 3 - Application Issue

We have reviewed your request for a new feature with our engineering
staff and it has been determined that this feature will not be
implemented in the WebFOCUS product at this time.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. If this decision
substantially impacts your business, please discuss with your local
account support team.

Sincerely,

Customer Support Services
Information Builders

WebFOCUS Server 8.1.05
Windows 2008 Server
WebFOCUS AppStudio 8.1.05
Windows 7 Professional
IE 11 and Chrome Version 43.0.2357.124 m.
Mostly HTML, PDF, Excel, and AHTML

Posts: 272 | Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan | Registered: September 30, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It appears Tool Tips in Adobe Acrobat Reader are available, but only in JavaScript-based forms...

eHow: How to Create Mouseovers in Adobe Acrobat

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I've got the PDf reference Guide, and it does state that some annotations can pop up.

But still back to square one, WF does not support it.

If I had the time I would write something similar to the PDF Effects I did a while ago, or add to it.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Info MAdams1.

Yes Francis, I am also looked at the same link you have shared. But I think we cannot implement javascript in PDF format through WebFOCUS.

Waz, If you can able to share some info about the annotations pop up i think i can give a try to that.

Meanwhile i am trying to hold and save the pdf file in disk and retrieve using HTMLFORMTYPE to use javascript, but it fails to use the javascript functionality in the file Frowner
I am not sure whether it will give me any positive side to use tooltip in pdf. Any thought about this? Whether this will work for us?

Thank you,
-Arun

Expert
posted Hide Post
Arun,

I would suggest downloading the PDF reference guide and checking out the annotations.

Keep in mind that the PDF document is quite complex and very structured.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984