Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Statistic (Logging Date/Timestamp) of last Dashboard-Login for every User

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Statistic (Logging Date/Timestamp) of last Dashboard-Login for every User
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everyone,

since we introduced a WebFOCUS Reporting Environment to our division managers, this Reporting is not used regularly by everyone. Some managers often use the Reporting Plattform, but most of them don't. Because we want all managers to use the plattform, we would like to have a statistic/report that shows the last login of every user.

My first idea is to insert an include into every report that gets the actual username + timestamp and write it to a FOCUS-File or to a DB. But I don't like to insert this include in every report that we develop.

So, is there any other way?
What do you think is the best / most comfortable way to get this statistic?
Are there already functions for this issue existing?

Greetz
JP

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

-----
WebFOCUS 7.6.4 on Windows Server 2003 with Oracle DB / MS SQL Server

Posts: 21 | Location: Essen, Germany | Registered: January 30, 2009Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
JP,

I take it your webfocus is 764, not 674?

There are at least two ways to do this, one is to activate the Resaurce Analyser - but that is a licensed product.

An other way is what I have implemented for one of my clients, and it is something similar to what you're looking for.
You do not have to change anything in the fexes you've built, but you do have to add a line to the default.wfs script in the webfocus client install directory.
The line I added is:
_ibi_fex_start=&_ibi_fex_start\nEX USAGE_MONITOR &REMOTE_USER, &IBIF_ex
(Tomact has to be restarted after this change).

This has the effect that for each and every request done to webfocus the procedure USAGE_MONITOR is executed and it takes the two variables as input.
The USAGE_MONITOR.fex file has to be somewhere in the path of the server, possibly in baseapp, so that is will always be found.
My code is:
-DEFAULT &1 = 'NOBODY'
-DEFAULT &2 = '??'
-SET &TI = HHMMSS('A8');
FILEDEF LOGFILE DISK &&APPDATA..\usage.txt (APPEND
-RUN
-WRITE LOGFILE &DMYY, &TI, &1, &2

&&APPDATA is where the application data is located, and is defined in the edasprof.

Hope this helps ...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Normally, a log of everything going on in BID is located here: O:\ibi\WebFOCUS53\worp\log (this shouldn't have changed for v7.6.x).

You could use an OS command like DOS DIR and pipe the result to a HOLD file and read the result.

The log files are named user_date_time.log (eg: aabdoo01_20080424_222739.log) so you wouldn't need to read the actual log file but just the name of the file to determine who's logged in to BID.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,
JP does not speak of BID.
But if he were to have it, he'd have to look in x:\ibi\webfocus76\logs. The logfile would be something like dashboard.log.'date', one for each day that the dashboard has been used. The logfile for today is called 'dashboard.log'.
And I find the information in the logfile not really helpful. But, yes, you can find out from the logfile who used the dashboard.

GamP

in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Yeah, sorry I mentioned BID - he didn't ask for that. So sorry.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you for your answers so far!

@ GamP:
Yes, 7.6.4 is correct! Thank you!

Indeed, we are using the dashboard, but in Version 7.6.4 is no folder ibi\WebFOCUS76\worp\log. I agree with GamP, that the dashboard.log is not very useful, since it offers a lot of information that we do not need. I will try GamP's solution with the USAGE_MONITOR.FEX, but as I searched to the default.wfs, I found 4 files in 4 diffrent folders. I don't know exactly which one to pick and where to insert the new line in it. Hopefully you can give me a hint. :-)

-----
WebFOCUS 7.6.4 on Windows Server 2003 with Oracle DB / MS SQL Server

Posts: 21 | Location: Essen, Germany | Registered: January 30, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Gamp, I shouldn't have been so quick to apologise - I thought I had read "dashboard" and indeed, it's in the title of the posting: "Statistic (Logging Date/Timestamp) of last Dashboard-Login for every User".

And you can indeed use the directory listing of the log directory - there isn't too much information - just single rows for each Dashboard request - one piece of text that can be broken up into three parameters user id, date and time - nice and simple.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,
My turn to show a red face Red Face ... sorry!

JP,
The file to use is in the x:/ibi/webfocus76/client/wfc/etc directory (if it is a 'normal' install).

GamP

in Focus since 1988