Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     How do I deliver xml output from a run to the client's platform?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
How do I deliver xml output from a run to the client's platform?
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I have a Data Migrator process that creates an xml file as its output. I currently have a FILEDEF command that places the results in a file on the server. But at the end of that run, I'd like to offer up that output to the enduser through their browser; that is, a window pops up prompting them to save the file. In this way I don't have to manage securing the file on the server from prying eyes.

Does anyone know of a way to filedef or otherwise direct an output to the user's client platform instead of landing it on the server somewhere? This is pretty much just a fancy MODIFY command, but I don't know how to deliver the result to the client platform.

Any help you can provide . . .

John

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
<JG>
posted
John you are using the wrong tool for that.
DM does not have the sort of interface that allows for 'client output', that's the job of WebFocus.

A possible solution would be to mail the file as part of your flow, but you to do that you need to
insert a system call. If your system is configured to handle mails which it almost certainly is
then there should be no problem.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Any web application can return a file to the enduser's browser window. Has anyone done it with WF/DM?

John

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

You come across as such a nice person, AND, from the tone of your previous posts, I'll bet you are a joy to work with! Big Grin

The file is probably sitting on the WF Reporting server, so, it needs to be FTP'd...

Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I had hoped to drop it into an MRE directory and allow them to fetch them via a folder tab in Dashboard. Unfortunately MRE will not recognized the file when it arrives and does not present it to the user.

I fear I may need to settle for an FTP or a shared folder. Thanks for the input!

J.

Expert
posted Hide Post
John,

MRE should be able to access the WF Reporting Server, if that's where the file is. How do you propose to display the XML file in a Dashboard tab? Do you have a HMTL file that somehow links to the XML file?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll be nice...

Create an HTML file, copy and paste:

<!-- Generated by Report Layout Painter -->
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<SCRIPT id=IBI_OptionsScript type=text/javascript>
var rltVersion = "76";
var cgipath = "cgipath";
var ibirls = "ibirls2";
var multidrill = "multidrill";
var mntFormValidate = "mntFormValidate";
var dyncalendar = "dyncalendar";
var olap="olap";
var olappanebase="olappanebase";
var olapdrill="olapdrill";
var multidrill = "multidrill";

var ibixmltree="ibixmltree";
var ibilangtrans="ibilangtrans";

var ibiOptions = new Array(cgipath,ibirls,mntFormValidate,ibilangtrans,dyncalendar,multidrill);
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_nls src="/ibi_html/javaassist/nls.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_ibigbl src="/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/js/ibigbl.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_ibigblloadCss type=text/javascript>
ibigblloadCss(null);</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_RelCallBack type=text/javascript>function AdjustChildrenPosition(){
}
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=clientEventHandlersJS type=text/javascript>
function window_onload() {
UpdateData();
// TODO: Add your event handler code here
}

<script type="text/javascript">
if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Opera') > 0) // Opera
{ document.write('Select "Save target as..."'); }
else if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Safari') > 0) // Safari
{ document.write('Select "Download Linked File As..."'); }
else if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Firefox') > 0) // Firefox
{ document.write('Select "Save Link As..."'); }
else if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Netscape') > 0) // Netscape
{ document.write('Select "Save Target As..."'); }
else if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Win') > 0) // IE
else
{ document.write('Save the file'); } // Default message
</script>

<div style="border-style:solid; border-width:1px; padding:20px;">
<p style="margin-top:0">
To download "John Edwards XML file from DataMigrator" right-click <a href="/approot/downloads/john_edwards.xml">on this link.</a>
</p>
<p>
<script type="text/javascript">
if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Opera') > 0) // Opera
{ document.write('Select "Save target as..."'); }
else if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Safari') > 0) // Safari
{ document.write('Select "Download Linked File As..."'); }
else if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Firefox') > 0) // Firefox
{ document.write('Select "Save Link As..."'); }
else if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Netscape') > 0) // Netscape
else if(navigator.userAgent.indexOf('Win') > 0) // IE
else
{ document.write('Save the file'); } // Default message
</script>
</p>
<p style="margin-bottom:0">
Make a note where you saved it on your computer, especially if you are a blonde!!!
</p>
</div>

</SCRIPT>

</HEAD>
</HTML>

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much!

This requires web services on the application directory, or is it processing through the servlet?

J.

Expert
posted Hide Post
John,

INTRAnet will be the servlet, INTERnet will be web.

Your WF server has no idea the identity of the other server processing the request.

I still think FTP at the end of the DM process, or, a ReportCaster batch job to FTP the file is the most efficient.

Also, you'll need to name the file with a .txt, then, have the client SAVE AS a .xml

Also, remove the last paragraph,

<p style="margin-bottom:0">
Make a note where you saved it on your computer, especially if you are a blonde!!!
</p>

Having a little fun, there!

I pride myself as a non-PC type person!!! Smiler

Tom

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

<JG>
posted
John,

I misunderstood what you meant by
“But at the end of that run, I'd like to offer up that output to the enduser through their browser; that is, a window pops up prompting them to save the file.”

That DM can not do. But if you mean you’d like the users to access the file via MRE or another WebFocus app that’s quite straight forward.

Create a focexec in the correct environment as follows

FILEDEF XMLFILE dir:\directories\XMLFILE.XML
-* what ever your mapping is
-RUN
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
!IBI.FIL.XMLFILE;
-HTMLFORM END

This will normally display the xml in the browser as certainly IE knows what it is, so
to save it the user must use file/save as from the title bar.

to overcome this you must disable the browser recognition of xml
(giving it an extension that it does not know about will not work because it reads the file and knows)

Report This Post