Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Network installation of Developer Sudio

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] Network installation of Developer Sudio
 Login/Join

posted
Hello WF world,
is there anyone who has worked with a network installed DevStudio? What about its pros and cons?
And particularly what about its performance?
Thank you in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Webfocus 7.7.3 Oracle
Windows Server 2003
Output: PDF, HTML(A), EXCEL

Posts: 25 | Location: Montreal | Registered: November 27, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, Dev Studio is a "client" to be installed on an individual workstation, not installed on a server.

http://www.informationbuilders.com/products/webfocus/wf_developer_studio.html

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis, you're wrong. You certainly can install DevStudio as a network install - a so-called zero-fottprint installation. And that's exactly what it is. You only have your own personal settings on your own hard disk, the rest is somewhere in the network on a file server.
I've been working with a networked installation of DS at one of my customers. I find that there is little difference once the product is started, but starting it takes about twice as much time as with a local install (which makes sense). After that it's just as 'fast' as 'normal'. But when you have to go back and start some other rtool (like maintain or report assist) it again takes more time thatn with a local install.
Pro of course is the single install in your network, and it requires no extra disk space on the local system.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Francis and GamP, we have started testing it and it works exactly as you said, GamP.
Another pro is that you need a license for an X number of CONCURRENT users, not of installations, and, last but not least, for a same number of users it costs less.

Webfocus 7.7.3 Oracle
Windows Server 2003

Gold member
posted Hide Post
We've been using the network version(zero footprint) of DevStudio for over 2 years. It works just like having it on the desktop.

Performance? Well it takes a bit longer to open, but after that no issues, it's just as fast as a local install.

Makes deployment easier for us since we refresh our computers on a schedule - one less software app to install when we do.

Laure

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03 - MRE, BID, - WindowsXP - Oracle 9i, SQLServer, DevStudio 7.7.3 - Apache Tomcat , Output: HTML, Excel 2013 and PDF

Posts: 78 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 07, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected. I apologize for the misinformation.

Though, I do have to add, "It works just like having it on the desktop", not all that fantastically then?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis, you are right! It still has it's quirks, just like the desktop version does.

Just one more thing, We have several developers that work remotely, we found that installing the zero footprint to a Citrix server located in the data center gives them much better response. This is true of the local install too.

Laure

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03 - MRE, BID, - WindowsXP - Oracle 9i, SQLServer, DevStudio 7.7.3 - Apache Tomcat , Output: HTML, Excel 2013 and PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
Is the cost of a network version the same as a desktop version?

Does the network version behave as badly with an external editor as the desktop version?

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
It worked out to be cheaper for use. You purchase in groups of user increments. I beleive it was groups of 5, but it may have been 10. As with any purchase, negotiations are key.

I can't answer about the external editor, I use the delviered text editor.

Laure

posted Hide Post
As Laure said negociations are the key.
However in our case a license for 20 users costs considerably less than 20 licenses for workstations users.

Webfocus 7.7.3 Oracle
Windows Server 2003