Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Date Values lose Null Value when Format Specified and Passed to Hold Table

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Date Values lose Null Value when Format Specified and Passed to Hold Table
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have a query which pulls several columns from a master file, including a date field which may have null values, and then I pass that data to a hold table.

If I do not add a date format specification to the column when creating the hold table, the null values are preserved in the hold table. When printing the hold table you can verify the default null value of "." in the columns for certain rows.

However, if I add a date format specification such as \HYYMDI, (this is the actual format specified for the column in the master file), then the null values are NOT preserved when passing the data to the hold table. Null values no longer show up as '.' and you cannot use the MISSING keyword in where statements. Null values simply show as blank fields with no "."s. SET NODATA will also not work to rename the null date values because they cannot be found.

Can I anyone shed some light on this problem?

I have a larger, more complex procedure which passes data along several hold tables; needs to be able to evaluate null values while also specifying date formats on columns

Also, I have already tried the following commands: "SET ALL = ON", "SET COMPMISS=ON" SET MISSING = ON" SET HOLDMISS = ON" to no avail..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Prod/Dev: WebFOCUS 8.0.08 on Windows Server 2008/Tomcat , WebFOCUS DevStudio 8.0.08 on Windows 7 Pro

Posts: 94 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: August 08, 2012Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Maybe I am not understanding the issue, but in the following code null values are preserved (using WF release 7.7.03):

SET HOLDLIST = PRINTONLY
DEFINE FILE CAR
 SALES_DATE/HYYMDI MISSING ON = IF (COUNTRY NE 'FRANCE' OR 'JAPAN') THEN DT(&YYMD 00:00:00) ELSE MISSING ;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
 PRINT
  COUNTRY
  CAR
  MODEL
  SALES
  SALES_DATE
 ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDX
END
TABLE FILE HOLDX
 PRINT
  COUNTRY
  CAR
  MODEL
  SALES
  SALES_DATE/HMDYYI
 ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDY
END
TABLE FILE HOLDY
 PRINT *
END

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Dan, try running the following code

SET HOLDLIST = PRINTONLY
DEFINE FILE CAR
SALES_DATE/HYYMDI MISSING ON = IF (COUNTRY NE 'FRANCE' OR 'JAPAN') THEN DT(&YYMD 00:00:00) ELSE MISSING ;
END
TABLE FILE CAR

BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
BY SALES
BY SALES_DATE/HMDYYI
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDX
END
TABLE FILE HOLDX

BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
BY SALES
BY SALES_DATE
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDY
END
TABLE FILE HOLDY
PRINT *
WHERE SALES_DATE NE MISSING
END

Do you see how the nulls are not preserved?

Prod/Dev: WebFOCUS 8.0.08 on Windows Server 2008/Tomcat , WebFOCUS DevStudio 8.0.08 on Windows 7 Pro

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember that you cannot dynamically re-format fields used in BY phrases. Although an error message is not generated, this seems to be the problem. If you remove the re-format on SALES_DATE, the query works as expected:

SET HOLDLIST = PRINTONLY
DEFINE FILE CAR
END
TABLE FILE CAR
 BY COUNTRY
 BY CAR
 BY MODEL
 BY SALES
 BY SALES_DATE
 ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDX
END
TABLE FILE HOLDX
 BY COUNTRY
 BY CAR
 BY MODEL
 BY SALES
 BY SALES_DATE
 ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDY
END
TABLE FILE HOLDY
 PRINT *
 WHERE SALES_DATE NE MISSING ;
END

One solution is to re-format SALES_DATE correctly as a PRINT/SUM verb object:

SET HOLDLIST = PRINTONLY
DEFINE FILE CAR
END
TABLE FILE CAR
 BY COUNTRY
 BY CAR
 BY MODEL
 BY SALES
 BY SALES_DATE
 ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDX
END
TABLE FILE HOLDX
 SUM FST.SALES_DATE/HMDYYI
 BY COUNTRY
 BY CAR
 BY MODEL
 BY SALES
 ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDY
END
TABLE FILE HOLDY
 PRINT *
END

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thank you for pointing that information out about dynamic reformatting and BY phrases. I will try converting all my queries to Print phrases.

However, one of the hurdles we face, is that we have a procedure that is grabbing data from 3 different sources and combining the data into one hold table. Since one of the 3 data sources has a different date format than the rest, we have to dynamically reformat it to 'HMDYYI' for the merge of all 3 hold tables to work. So I do not have the option of removing dynamic reformatting as a solution.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Instead of dynamically reformatting the date column, create a new column with DEFINE or COMPUTE, using the MISSING attribute previously suggested.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If sorting by the date is necessary, besides Francis' excellent DEFINE solution, you could also use PRINT/SUM to reformat the date and sort the date with a NOPRINT:

SET HOLDLIST = PRINTONLY
DEFINE FILE CAR
END
TABLE FILE CAR
 BY COUNTRY
 BY CAR
 BY MODEL
 BY SALES
 BY SALES_DATE
 ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDX
END
TABLE FILE HOLDX
 SUM FST.SALES_DATE/HMDYYI
 BY COUNTRY
 BY CAR
 BY MODEL
 BY SALES
 BY SALES_DATE NOPRINT
 ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDY
END
TABLE FILE HOLDY
 PRINT *
END

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I was able to get our procedure to work by re-defining the date column at the top and removing dynamic reformats when passing to the hold tables.

Thank you both very much for your input. It really helped. Good One