Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [TECHNIQUE] Z-Order of PDF Compound objects - By Object Name

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[TECHNIQUE] Z-Order of PDF Compound objects - By Object Name
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi everyone,

just as a quick hint what I have found out recently in WebFOCUS PDF Compound.
(Could not find this info by searching the forum or the WF documentation)

COMPOUND LAYOUT PCHOLD FORMAT PDF

In the WebFOCUS course we were told that using the PDF Composer you need to add PDF elements in the right order to create overlapping objects in the right z-order (from "older" to "newer" objects).
What I found out recently is that this is not entirely true. The z-order is determined by the objects names (case-insensitive) not the order in which you added them (or in which they appear in the source code).
Give it a shot: An object named "A-Box" will always appear below / behind a "B-Box".

If not yet known this could be quite worth knowing.

Cheers Linne

WebFOCUS 7.7.03

Expert
posted Hide Post
Is this a change in functionality or a bug ?

Have you got sample code ?

I'd love to try that out on previous versions.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Waz,

actually I cannot decide whether this is a bug or a feature. I would opt for "undocumented feature" but I cannot tell if they have changed this between WF versions -

Yet if you know what to do, it can be quite useful:

Please feel free to check the following example (for me currently checked on WF 7.7.01)

SET HTMLARCHIVE=ON
COMPOUND LAYOUT PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
UNITS=IN, $
SECTION=section1, LAYOUT=ON, METADATA='0.5^0.5^0.5^0.5^4', MERGE=OFF, ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT, PAGESIZE=Letter,  $
PAGELAYOUT=1, NAME='Page layout 1', text='Page layout 1', TOC-LEVEL=1, BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5, TOPMARGIN=0.5, METADATA='BOTTOMMARGIN=0.5,TOPMARGIN=0.5,LEFTMARGIN=0,RIGHTMARGIN=0,', $
OBJECT=BOX, NAME='line1', POSITION=(0.625 0.521), DIMENSION=(2.917 1.667), BACKCOLOR=RED, BORDER-COLOR=RED, METADATA='Z-INDEX: 100; POSITION: absolute; BACKGROUND-COLOR: red; WIDTH: 2.917in; HEIGHT: 1.667in; FONT-SIZE: 1pt; TOP: 0.521in; LEFT: 0.625in', $
OBJECT=BOX, NAME='line2', POSITION=(2.083 1.354), DIMENSION=(3.333 1.875), BACKCOLOR=BLUE, BORDER-COLOR=BLUE, METADATA='Z-INDEX: 100; POSITION: absolute; BACKGROUND-COLOR: blue; WIDTH: 3.333in; HEIGHT: 1.875in; FONT-SIZE: 1pt; TOP: 1.354in; LEFT: 2.083in', $
OBJECT=STRING, NAME='text1', TEXT='<font face="ARIAL" size=18>A hidden text</font>', POSITION=(2.606 1.872), MARKUP=ON, WRAP=ON, DIMENSION=(2.083 0.521), style=bold, METADATA='', $
COMPONENT='DfltCmpt1', POSITION=(0 0), DIMENSION=(0 0), $
END
SET COMPONENT='DfltCmpt1'
TABLE FILE SYSCOLUM
" "
SUM TBNAME NOPRINT
IF READLIMIT EQ 1
ON TABLE SET PREVIEW ON
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
END
COMPOUND END

Try changing "line2" to "aline2" or "text1" to "atext1" and see if in your version the z-order is changed. For me in 7.7.01 I could alter the z-order that way.

Cheers
Linne

WebFOCUS 7.7.03

Expert
posted Hide Post
Looks like it has always done it.

Tested and verified in 7.1.6, 7.6.6, 7.6.9 and 7.6.11.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post