Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     (Solved) Upgrading to 7.6.8

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
(Solved) Upgrading to 7.6.8
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have not seen any comments on 7.6.8. I am upgrading tommorow from 7.6.1 to 7.6.8 dev studio and the server. Has anyone out in there installed 7.6.8? Tips? I have never installed WF before and am a little apprehensive since I have no choice but to install directly into production. (we are taking a full image copy of the server as backup). I will keep the forum updated on any issues I may run into but would appreciate any advice from the experts.
Thanks in advance, Paul

Update: We ended up hiring IBI to upgrade since we do not have a test platform. Thanks all for your replies

This message has been edited. Last edited by: paulI,

Prod: WF 7.7.05, BID, MRE, 7.7.06M Server, Windows 2008, RedHat, Oracle 11gR1, MS Office 2010
Test: I wish we had one!

Posts: 75 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: February 19, 2008Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Not a good idea to install directly to Production. Specially when it is your first time. Do you have a proper migration plan?

I would recommend you install 768 on a test server. Do migration and proper UAT and then image it to PROD. We are currently 765 on Prod and 768 on dev and not many issues so far.

Sayed

WF 8.x and 7.7.x Win/UNIX/AS400, MRE/Portal/Self-Service, IIS/Tomcat, WebSphere, IWA, Realmdriver, Active Directory, Oracle, SQLServer, DB2, MySQL, JD Edwards, E-BIZ, SAP BW, R/3, ECC, ESSBASE

Posts: 285 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sayed. In a perfect world, I would never install directly into production. I have been in IT for 30 years. Due to contractural issues we only have one instance of WF. We do have a solid backout plan if this upgrade fails.

Prod: WF 7.7.05, BID, MRE, 7.7.06M Server, Windows 2008, RedHat, Oracle 11gR1, MS Office 2010

Posts: 75 | Location: Wichita, KS | Registered: February 19, 2008Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Few things you need to make sure

1- When you backup your Prod Server(s), don't forget to backup your rcaster repository
2- Reporting Server install should be easy, make sure all connections work after the install
3- WF Client install - I am not sure if you can just upgrade from 761 to 768 or you have to do a full install. If you just can get away with a upgrade then you are lucky. Otherwise, you will need to do a full install, migrate apps/basedir, sync users... all the fun stuff Smiler

Have the install guide handy and read it few times before attempting. Good luck!

Sayed

WF 8.x and 7.7.x Win/UNIX/AS400, MRE/Portal/Self-Service, IIS/Tomcat, WebSphere, IWA, Realmdriver, Active Directory, Oracle, SQLServer, DB2, MySQL, JD Edwards, E-BIZ, SAP BW, R/3, ECC, ESSBASE

Posts: 285 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 27, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
We just upgraded from 7.6.4 to 7.6.8 and found that the web.xml file for both rcaster and webfocus had issues. Make sure you have a copy of these files as you may have to manually complete the upgrade by pulling information from the prior release and placing it in these files Search for { and if you have the information in between is what did not get changed. The location of the files in question is x:\ibi\WebFOCUS76\webapps\rcaster76\WEB-INF\web.xml and x:\ibi\WebFOCUS76\webapps\webfocus76\WEB-INF\web.xml

Other than that we have not found any issues with the install. (this install was in a windows environment with apache and IIS)

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
CLH, that has been a problem since early in the 7.6 releases. I cannot believe that it hasn't been fixed yet. What a pain!

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Paul, you don't say in your signature what bits of the product you actually have...do you use MRE, BID, Caster, ...?
the server alone upgrade on a service pack (third digit, even 2nd digit) is usually totally painless.
devstu is usually painless.
client is always agony... depending on how much of it you use...
CSS will help you via Remote Assist if you get stuck... they're quite swell.

make SURE you've printed out and read the install & config manuals BEFORE you start....

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. We had to postpone a day due to a faulty backup. CLH, i have a copy of what you suggested, thanks. Susannah, sorry, I just updated my signature. Hope this is more clear.

Expert
posted Hide Post
so are you running the wf reporting server on windows or on some linux box somewhere?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Sorry for not updating this post in a while. We are still trying to get a valid backup of our server. I not sounds as if our tech team will build me a box in VM so that I can install to that box and not directly into production (YEA). I will keep everone posted on the 7.6.8 upgrade. Thanks to all who have sent suggestions.