Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Include MRE fex in Server side a Fex

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Include MRE fex in Server side a Fex
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all. I am trying to -Include a MRE fex in a server side fex. I have found tons of info on how to include a fex from every other direction but not from server side to MRE.

Include a SR in a CR
-INCLUDE app/fexname

Include a CR in a CR
-INCLUDE [mre user id]:fexname

Include a RPC (server side fex) in a SR or CR
-MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE FEXNAME

Include a SR or CR in a RPC (server side fex)
???????

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF 7.6.6, Win 2K3 SP2

Posts: 4 | Location: Denver | Registered: March 27, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You will have to use APP MAP and APP PREPENDPATH or APP PATH to add the MRE domain folder to the application path:

APP MAP app1 d:\ibi\WebFOCUS53\basedir\francism\app
APP PREPENDPATH app1
-RUN

-INCLUDE XXXXXXXX

Network issue: This will work if the web server and WebFOCUS server are on the same machine or if the web server drive can be mapped on the WebFOCUS server (I am most likely not using the correct networking lingo here).

If this is something you need to constantly do, you can add the two lines to edasprof.prf or the site profile.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
matt_bg0518,

You'll also have to APP MAP all the other folders; my take is this is backwards.

We keep "ALL" programs on the server, and, the MRE programs are used as calls to the app folders, i.e.,

-MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE app_folder/program.fex or .htm

Then, we Englishize the MRE names: fin_0001 is renamed to FASB Activity Report.

This is just an FYI, and/or, my take...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
You'll also have to APP MAP all the other folders
Not sure what you mean by that Tom.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hey Francis,

If you have multiple DOMAINS, and Standard Reports, wouldn't you have to APP MAP all the folder's, i.e. francism, tomflynn, etc.?

To be honest, I've never architected this way, so, it is a new path to me...

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Back up a step and ask a couple of questions. Why was the fex fex created in MRE in the first place? Is it because of security? If so, you are circumventing the security by accessing it from the server. If it's not because of security, is there some other compelling reason why it can't just be moved to an application folder on the server? If you want it accessible from both places, just put it on the server and then reference the code in an MRE fex:

-MRNOEDIT -INCLUDE app/fexname

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Francis your suggestion worked perfectly. Thanks for the help.

Tom I did have APP MAP all of the paths I needed for the fex to run properly. Thanks for the suggestion.

Darin I the fex I need to include was from an MRE Dashboard I have and I have a client that wanted the same report included in a Self Service application outside MRE. And I am trying to reduce duplication for maintainance.

Thanks all!!

WF 7.6.6, Win 2K3 SP2

Posts: 4 | Location: Denver | Registered: March 27, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Yes, you would have to APP MAP the other domains that contain fexes you want to INCLUDE in a self-service app.

I recently finished working at a client site where I inherited a little nightmare - one APP MAP MRE Domain containing fexes that were -INCLUDEd and -MRENOEDIT _INCLUDEd in MRE programs and non-MRE programs. MRE programs had links to fexes that were not MRE, using -INCLUDEs of programs in the APP MAP domain.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
matt_bg0518,

Glad it worked out for you.

Francis,

Wow! Again, WF flexibility. Many ways to climb the mountain.

Tom Flynn
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Personnaly, I don't think it's a good idea. Here are possible reasons why that kind of -INCLUDE is not documented.

First off, even if it works now (using an APP mapping, possibly on top of a network mapping, as others posted) it depends on the machine hosting your Web server and your WF "Client" (including the MR directory structure) being accessible to your WF Server. But there's no guarantee that the installation will continue to support that access. The front or back end might migrate some day, in a way that precludes the connection.

More broadly, you would be banking on an undocumented feature: MR is not required, by design, to support direct execution of its procedures by the Server, in the form and place where the procedure code is stored by MR. Although MR now stores each fex as a separate host operating system file, there is nothing preventing IBI, in a future release, from revising the design and (say) imbedding MR Report procedures in a database. There is also no guarantee that the logical filename and external (operating-system-level) filename correspond.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post