Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     How to remove blank line following subhead

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
How to remove blank line following subhead
 Login/Join

<ludo>
posted
Hi all,

I need on more time your help. tis time is for stylesheet management.

I got the following code
TABLE FILE NODDY
PRINT NODDYFIELD AS '' NOPRINT
BY NODDYFIELD NOPRINT
ON NODDYFIELD SUBHEAD
"E01<+0>E01" E01 are preced by greater than sign
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORAMT PDF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=SUBHEAD, ITEM=1,POSITION=1,$
TYPE=SUBHEAD, ITEM=2,POSITION=12,$
ENDSTYLE
END

I got two problems with it the first is that between each subhead i got a blank line and i would like to suppress it.
The second one is that each item following each others so the two items don't respect the stylesheet I defined.
The result output is :

NODDYNODDY -- Itm1Item2
-- blank line
NODDYNODDY -- Item1Item2

Coul d you help me to solve theses two issues

Thx a lot
Ludo

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
1) If you put your code between
[code]
[/code]
tags, you can place WebFOCUS code without fear of it getting transformed.

2) For PDF reports, POSITION=2, puts the heading item two inches from the left margin. You need to specify the column name you want to align the heading item to:
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
SALES
RETAIL
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
BY CAR NOPRINT
ON CAR SUBHEAD
"<COUNTRY<+0><CAR"
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=SUBHEAD, ITEM=1,POSITION=SALES, COLOR=RED,$
TYPE=SUBHEAD, ITEM=2,POSITION=RETAIL,COLOR=BLUE,$
ENDSTYLE
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
And, in my old-fashioned 5.3.4 environment, I do not get a blank line after the SUBHEADing:

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<ludo>
posted
Thx for the tips for putting [code]

For my probleme of positionning i forgot to put the line settings in the style sheet so with this code
TYPE=SUBHEAD,LINE=1,ITEM=1,POSITION=1,$
TYPE=SUBHEAD,LINE=1, ITEM=2,POSITION=12,$
I got the expected result.

But i still have a blank line between each value of subhead.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ludo,

The empty line you see is NOT from the subhead, as Francis already showed.
The blank line is the line that normally would contain printed or summed fields, for all of which you have specified NOPRINT.
Hence this line will be empty and will remain empty.
I'd advise you to create a report with print fields that will look very much like the same report using subheads.
For example:
SET BYDISPLAY = ON
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR AS '' IN 45
BY COUNTRY AS '' IN 10
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=COUNTRY, COLOR=RED, $
TYPE=DATA, COLUMN=CAR, COLOR=BLUE, $
ENDSTYLE
END  

Hope this helps....

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If your output format is PDF, you can add a statement ot the stylesheet to reduce the font size of the DATA lines even though there is no data showing due to the NOPRINTs.

TYPE=DATA, SIZE=1,$

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In order for this technique to work, you must have at least one field showing. I the example below I added a COMPUTE field that is blank.

SET BYDISPLAY = ON
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR NOPRINT
COMPUTE BLANK/A1=''; AS ''
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
BY CAR NOPRINT
ON CAR SUBHEAD
"This <CAR is from <COUNTRY"
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=DATA, SIZE=1,$
ENDSTYLE
END

Thanks!

Mickey

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
<ludo>
posted
Hi all,

After tying the differents solutions you gave me the one i achieve to make working is GamP's one...

The solution of mgrackin doesn't work i made the compute fields
COMPUTE BLANK/A1=''; AS ''  
with the given style sheet but I still have a empty line between each subhead ...

I have another question for the IN Parameters

TABLE FILE TOTO
PRINT 
 LIB1 AS '' IN 1
 LIB2 AS '' IN 44
 LIB3 AS '' IN 57
END

My question is : How can I manage dynamically the position to place my fields. Indeed the Lib2 is a varchar ans i want the lib3 following the lib2 in output. If the lib2 is too big I will erase it by the lib3

I apology for my english and hope you understand me

Regards
Ludo

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ludo,

The suggestioon I posted technically does not eliminate the blank lines. It just reduces the size of them to look like they are not there. This only works with PDF output format.

When you ran the code did it reduce the size of the lines between the SUBHEADs at all?

Thanks!

Mickey

Expert
posted Hide Post
If you want LIB3 to follow LIB2, don't use "IN 99" at all.

Francis

<ludo>
posted
For Mickey : No I got the same space size between the subeheads and I'm looking for a solution to supress these blank lines so i did it by using Gamp solution.

For Francis: I'm so stupid I haven't thought a so simple solution. It works !

Thx all

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
How many WebFOCUS developers are there in Luxembourg? If there's a shortage, I'd like to volunteer! Smiler

Francis

<ludo>
posted
Not so much WF developers in Luxwembourg. I think that only 2 or 3 bank use it. But the problem is that IBI is not very well none here. People use BO Oracle solutions or inhouse solutions so it's difficult to take advantage of a WF know-how

But if you'r ready to come in Europe i'll make a switch with you and come in Canada ... to increase my skill in WF , english and use my mother tongue french Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <ludo>,

Report This Post