Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Spaces in Alphanumeric/Varchar fields

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Spaces in Alphanumeric/Varchar fields
 Login/Join

posted
HI
Is there any way that I can fix the length of a field.
For eg I have a field in which the values may vary from 2 -10 characters. But the length of the field is 15 characters and I want it to be displayed as 15 characters long only in the output.

I looked for different data types in here but could not find any?

Thanks in advance Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF Server: 7.1.4 on Unix and Win2K3 server, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java
Data: Teradata, Oracle, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K, WP
WF Client: 7.1.4 on Windows 2K3 w/Tomcat

Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm not quite sure what you are asking but try (and look up) this setting:
SET SHOWBLANKS=ON

You don't mention your output type or which release of 7.6 you are using or your platform. If you put the latter two in your profile signature, it will be much easier to give you a targeted answer.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You also need to make sure that SQUEEZE is not on for that column in the stylesheet. The output type will make a big difference (HTML will not be handled the same way as PDF.)
Another idea is to make the field A15 if it is currently A15V.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
i can't use SHOWBLANKS in my version of Webfocus ie 7.1.4..
and i have to make sure that the Define field that i would create and use in the header is displayed with its maximum length and not squeez.

For Eg: i want the header to be displayed like this:
if "Sachin Tendulkar" is the value of the defined field temp:

"Sachin Tendulkar is a genius."

if I change "Sachin Tendulkar" to "Sachin" then I should get the following output:

"Sachin           is a genius."   

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sidney_jec,

WF Server: 7.1.4 on Unix and Win2K3 server, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sidney,
If your output is PDF, the blanks should show.
If you output is HTML and you cannot use SHOWBLANKS, then you will have to use
 "&|nbsp;" 
instead of a space so that the browser should insert blanks. Also see to your font: if you use something like "arial" then the blanks are very skinny, so maybe you want to use a fixed font like "courier new"

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks..
but what if the output is word perfect??

Expert
posted Hide Post
Can you use CTRAN to replace the spaces with non-printable characters?

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COMPUTE FIELD1/A15 = 'Sachin Tendukar';
      COMPUTE FIELD2/A13 = ' is a genius';
      COMPUTE FIELD3/A29 = FIELD1 | FIELD2;
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT WP
END
TYPE HOLD.WP
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COMPUTE FIELD1/A15 = 'Sachin';
      COMPUTE FIELD2/A13 = ' is a genius';
      COMPUTE FIELD3/A29 = FIELD1 | FIELD2;
BY COUNTRY NOPRINT
ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT WP
END
TYPE HOLD.WP

Or is this not what you mean?

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post