Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Question about making Excel in mainframe FOCUS

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Question about making Excel in mainframe FOCUS
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
I know you can make Excel output from Mainframe FOCUS; however, here's my question: Can you make an output Excel file that contains both a detail section and a summary section? Can you put different output into different worksheets of one Excel workbook? If so, how is that done?

Thank you in advance........

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webmeister,

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think you're getting into the WebFOCUS realm. What your are needing is a compound document and I don't know if straight FOCUS provides that functionality. But then my MF FOCUS eperience ended years ago, so I don't know exactly all of the current functionality.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Darin,

I know that WebFocus can do what I'm searching for....I was hoping that perhaps someone might have a way of doing something similar in mainframe FOCUS.

I appreciate you taking time to reply.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
WebMeister,

From the MF/Focus 7.3 user manual:
quote:

Creating Compound PDF or PostScript Reports
Compound reports combine multiple reports into a single PDF or PS file. This enables you
to concatenate reports with styled formats (such as PDF, HTML, PS, or EXL2K). You can also
embed image files in a compound report.
The first PDF or PS report defines the format for the concatenated report, enabling you to
intersperse intermediate reports in other formats into one encompassing report. Using
compound reports, you can gather data from different data sources and combine reports
into one governing report that runs each request and concatenates the output into a single
PDF or PS file.

You should download all the Focus manuals from the IBI web site...

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi, Daniel,

Thank you for replying. While the excerpt you provided about PDF and Postscript output might be valid, I don't think it will work in my case, since we have Release 7.1 of mainframe FOCUS.

We have been presented with a demo of WebFOCUS and management is deciding whether we go with it or not.

It's just frustrating to have to make an Excel sheet for a detail report and then to make an Excel sheet for a summary report....

Thanks again for replying.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Webmeister,

Why don't you just give it a small try - that has been the Focus spirit for over 30 years?

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Couldn't you use standard FOCUS reporting techniques of putting summary information into a subhead and the detail as normal lines? Or the MacGyver technique?

I agree with Danny. Sometimes you have to play with technique.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Danny and Ginny,

Thank you for replying... sorry I did not reply sooner, but have been on vacation. I'll keep trying, and see hwat comes out the other end. If I'm successful, I will definitely let you know.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO