Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     report caster & on table save files

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
report caster & on table save files
 Login/Join

posted
Hi, I have several report caster jobs (rel 5) that run fine if I want to email an attached report. But I I can't get a job to just save my output to a file in a shared directory. If I run this job in Dev Studio 524, it runs fine, replaces my file, etc. If I run that same job in report caster, it emails me the the first task's message file and my pdf file disappears. Any idea what Im missing? Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mgd,

Expert
posted Hide Post
the fex you're running has a FILEDEF, yes? and parks the file in the filedef'd location, yes?
so when you run the fex live, you do NOT see it on the screen, right?
If , when you run the job live, you see output on the screen, that's what caster is going to send you.
check all of this, then tell us what output format you've selected in your caster job setup.

ah.i just read your post more carefully...you're creating a pdf! different animal. Does caster in fact also park the pdf on the desired filedeffed server location, as well as email it to you?
In Caster, click on the task, and tell us what you've chosen for 'Report Format'..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<Tim Howard_ABCBS>
posted
Report caster always expects to return something to the user. What I've done in a similar case is save the file on a shared network drive then create an html page with a link to the shared drive as my returned object. Here's my sample code:

FILEDEF HOLDTST DISK //sharedrive/sharedfile.txt
-RUN
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDTST FORMAT ALPHA
END
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<html><head></head><body>
<a href="//sharedrive/">Click here to access file</a>
</body>
</html>
-HTMLFORM END

Hope this is what you are looking for or at least gives you an idea.

Tim H.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
1.) I have a filedef, "FILEDEF CRDT_DERIV DISK \\IMNT14\SHARED\......", 2.) yes the file is saved to the filedef location when I run in devstudio. 3.) no - I do not see the report on the screen, but reprt messages including: ( 0 PDF FILE SAVED ...)

In my FEX I save the output to:
ON TABLE SAVE AS CRDT_DERIV FORMAT PDF

In my Report Caster job, I have two tasks. The first is a message to be emailed and it's formatted as HTML
The second is my report, report format = PDF

After the job runs, I get the message from the first task, and it seems my report goes out tothe ozone.

I can't get caster to park the file at all. As PDF, (or EXL2K). That only happens when I run the report myself. the file format for this task in caster is PDF

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mgd,

posted Hide Post
UPDATE: It was discovered that the report caster id the jobs were running under, did not have write access to the directory I was pointing to. Thank-you all for your help.