Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Creating a password protected Excel template

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Creating a password protected Excel template
 Login/Join

posted
Good morning guys.

I am working on a project where a report is generated in an Excel format and needs to be sent to or vendor ever hour using a schedule.

I can generate the report, but the report needs to be password protected before it is emailed.

The vendor cannot use zip files because their IT has forbid it. Our executive overhead is demanding a password protected Excel in its stead.

What I need is an understanding of how I can take an excel file, perhaps one that is already prepared with a password, put the data from the report into it, and mail it off.

I need the following:

I need to understand whether or not I can take a password protected excel file and use it as a template.

I need to understand the process of opening a template file. That is poorly explained. What is an MHT file and how does that differ from an excel template file? Do your template files require a specific extension? How are they to be created.

What needs to happen to the template file before you can use it as your hold. Are there any examples that don't purposely skip critical details?

I am fairly new to Focus and would appreciate some assistance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hi Very Helpful

Welcome to Focal Point. I think you will find it a great resource for getting answers to your development questions.

I am not sure if you can do that with Excel but one option you do have is to make the format of the report output an Active Report (AHTML) and you can assign a password and expiration date to the report and then send it via ReportCaster. I jjst wanted to make you aware of that option. Many customers like what you can do with an Active Report over Excel. Check it out.

Thank you for using Focal Point!

Chuck Wolff - Focal Point Moderator
WebFOCUS 7x and 8x, Windows, Linux All output Formats

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

Thanks for the response.

I reference to using Active AHTML: The goal is to seen our report to an our outside vendor in a secure format. Therefore, when they receive it, we would like them to enter the password. Can you email an AHTML file to the vendor that requires them to use a password to view it?

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Interesting... Just a thought: Can you create that template with the write protection applied to it, from within Excel, not WebFOCUS, and pass the password to it via a link?

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't it be a problem for WF to (try to) write to a password-protected template?

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Very Helpful

Yes with the Active Report format they would be required to enter a password based on the password you set when you create the procedure under Active Report Options.

Posts: 2127 | Location: Customer Support | Registered: April 12, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
@FP Moderator

I am writing this report in code. Where can I find documentation for setting reports to active reports?

Thanks

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Very Helpful

Hopefully you have signed up for the techsupport as explained before. This link will take you to the technical content page for version 8.1.05 not sure which version you are on. Under the Reporting Language folder look at the Creating Reports with webFOCUS Language and there is a chapter on choosing display format.

http://infocenter.informationb...om/wf81rel/index.jsp

This is the code you will use for AHTML

ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT AHTML

posted Hide Post
FP,

I am reviewing the documentation now. To clarify, we send HIPPA protected info and we need to either upload our documents to an encrypted FTP or at the very least password protect our outgoing email.

In lieu of being able to create password protected Excel file and due to the fact that our clients tend to seize at the idea of using a zip application to input a password, I am looking for a method that will allow them to receive a simple password protected attachment.

According to what I have been reading, there is a way to accomplish this by including an attached password protected AHTML file.

The code you provided ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT AHTML makes perfect sense as we use it right now. The issue comes when I want to store the file as an AHTML file, set a password to it and include that in an email using caster.

This is what I am trying to do an I will review the TechDocs. If you have any helpful hints please let me know. I will check back in momentarily.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Very Helpful

Using the App Studio GUI makes setting the password very easy. When you select format of Active Report then there is a menu option that says Active Report Options. You can set the password and an expiration date if you wish to as well. This will accomplish what you want to do.

posted Hide Post
FP,

This seems to work as intended and also works via code.

Thanks for your help again.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs