Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Am I thinking this through correctly (migration related)?:

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Am I thinking this through correctly (migration related)?:
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
Hey all,

So, we are starting to attempt to migrate content from an old server to a new one. The old server/environment has WF7 procedures, etc. This new server/environment is WF8-based. We need to convert all our WF7 content to be compatible with WF8 syntax. Will old WF7 procedures run in the new environment without code changes? Or do we need to update all our code to WF8 syntax? Suggestions?

Also, with migrating WF7 content that's stored in the app directories of the Data Server side in the old environment (where the .mas/.acx now should go in WF8), what is the best way you all have found to do this? My thoughts were that we should import an app at a time and move the imported content from the Data Server side to the Content area by copying and pasting from/to. Then deleting the originally imported files so there aren't duplicates. After that, going through the code now in Content and fixing all the -INCLUDEs with correct references and absolute file paths. Then test to get things running again.

What are your experiences with doing similar? What are your suggestions for doing such? Things to avoid? Things to make sure and do? This is my first go at this, so any help and suggestions would be much appreciated. Or if someone can point me in the right direction of docs that define how to do this in detail.

Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi CG,

There are a bunch of utilities that are available to do this. It does require that you have the WF8 install completed first as the utilities need to be copied from WF8 first.

The manual can be found in the documentation library. Go to the Tech Content and search on migrate. There's a whole bunch of docs that you may find useful.

One thing to remember if you are going to use the utilities to export from WF7, make sure that you adhere to what needs to be stopped such as web services and tomcat!!

There's a walk through here by Gerry Snyder.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tony,

Hey thanks Tony for the link and for chiming in. Appreciate your help and time. Will dig into this.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Just opened a case to get some help learning how migrating content from 7.6 to 8.1 should work. Hope to hear back soon.

Master
posted Hide Post
Hard to say, depends on the code, database, etc.

When we migrated we had several issues relating to how WebFOCUS converts the FOCUS language to SQL. For example in 7.6.11 (which is what we migrated from), WebFOCUS did not pass COMPUTES that were Boolean statements. For example:
COMPUTE FIELDA/I5=....;
COMPUTE FIELDB/I5=....;
COMPUTE KEEPREC/I1=FIELDA EQ FIELDB;
WHERE TOTAL KEEPREC EQ 1;

These computes and WHERE TOTAL phrase weren't passed in 7.6.11 to Oracle. In WF8, IBI has made significant improvements in the SQL that it sends. It will send a lot more than it used to. In the above example, all of these COMPUTEs were being passed to Oracle but the return set was wrong. Once we changed KEEPREC to an IF THEN ELSE statement, it still passed to Oracle but worked as before. What I was told was that there is no Boolean syntax in SQL. Don't know if that is true or not, just what I was told. To me this is a bug, but since the fix was so easy, I don't know that IBI is fixing it.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Not in standard SQL indeed, nor in Oracle. I do know that PostgreSQL does support this though, to name an exception to the rule.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks jgelona and Wep5622 for the added insights and experiences. Good to know on the COMPUTEs and boolean expressions.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This thread is continued and linked to in this thread:

http://forums.informationbuild...1057331/m/9137036776