Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
MS OLAP CUBES
 Login/Join

<kj>
posted
Has any one has an idea of how to usin Microsoft OLAP cubes in Webfocus? As far as I know, we can create master files against the cubes and use them in TABLE FILE just like other tables. If OLAP is enabled, it takes all the dimensions and measures created in MS OLAP cube.

What I need is, I need to display a list of all Measures and Dimensions that are defined in cube to the user. The report should be generated depends on the measure and dimension the user selected.

Is there a way to geneate a list of measures and dimensions? I do not want to hard code them in the report.

I would appreciate if any one can help me in getting this done.

Thanks in advance.
kj

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The CREATE Synonym in the WebConsole creates
the metadata from the MS cube.
But, you have to have licensed the MS Cube feature. Its considered a data source and only one data source is provided free with a WF Server.

<kj>
posted
GeraldCohen,
Thanks for your quick response. We have License for MS OLAP Services. What I want to know is Is there a way to geneate a list of measures and dimensions so that the user can select for generating the report.

Thsnks,
kj

Report This Post
<Grzegorz>
posted
You could try something like this:

DEFINE FILE SYSCOLUM
OLAP_TYPE/A16 = IF DIMEN_NAME NE '' THEN 'Dimension' ELSE 'Measure';
END
TABLE FILE SYSCOLUM
PRINT COLUMN_NAME
BY OLAP_TYPE
WHERE TABLE_NAME EQ 'centord'
END

just replacing 'centord' with your MS OLAP synonym name. I suppose it should work with MS OLAP the same way like it works with the FOCUS OLAP synonym.

Correction (measure should be numeric, and it is worth to know to what dimension the column belongs):

DEFINE FILE SYSCOLUM
OLAP_TYPE/A16 = IF DIMEN_NAME NE '' THEN 'Dimension' ELSE 'Measure';
END
TABLE FILE SYSCOLUM
PRINT COLUMN_NAME DIMEN_NAME
BY OLAP_TYPE
BY DIMEN_NAME NOPRINT
BY DIMEN_LEVEL NOPRINT
WHERE (OLAP_TYPE EQ 'Dimension') OR
(TYPE_NAME EQ 'DECIMAL' OR 'DOUBLE' OR 'FLOAT' OR 'INTEGER')
WHERE TABLE_NAME EQ 'centord'
END

Hope this helps
Grzegorz

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
The syntax that specifies whether a field is a dimension is the WITHIN syntax. That syntax is automatically generated from the dimensions in the MSOLAP file. Anything not specified with WITHIN is automatically a measure. That's the basis of the logic at its most simple. So check that master file and look for the WITHIN statements.

<kj>
posted
Grzegorz & Bob,
Thanks for your reply. I will try it today and let you know if it works for me.
where do I find the documentation on this topic?
I could not find it in webfocus documentation.
do I have to look in i-way ?

If the OLAP option is enable for a cube that is defined in database, it just works fine. Is there a way to customize the output layout?

Thanks,
kj

Report This Post
<Grzegorz>
posted
The WITHIN syntax is described in the "Describing Data with WebFOCUS Language" manual, chapter 4. "Describing an Individual Field", section "Defining a Dimension: WITHIN".

I cannot find any documentation about WebFOCUS/iWay/EDA server system tables (e.g. SYSCOLUM), but you can find the master files of the systables in the directory: $IBI_HOME/srv53/home/catalog. The master files contain the short description for their fields.

Hope this helps
Grzegorz

Report This Post
<DocServices>
posted
Hi,
For more information about SYSCOLUM, see Dynamic Catalog Tables in the Metadata Services in Full-Function and Hub Servers chapter in the iWay Server Administration for MVS and VM manual.
You can also refer to Enhancing Metadata in the Creating Descriptive Information About Your Data chapter in the WebFOCUS Managed Reporting Administrator's manual.
If you need further assistance, please reply to DocServices (our department�s user name to access the bulletin board).
If you would like to provide feedback on documentation, please visit the Information Builders Technical Documentation Library at http://documentation.informationbuilders.com and click the Feedback link.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Can I help me... Im working with MS OLAP but I can't to establish connection from mi web foucus server to MS OLAP in another machine..... when I'm trying t connect from my synonym's tool send me "Error: No tables Found"

Thanks a lot!