Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] 7.7 SQL.Function

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] 7.7 SQL.Function
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hey all,

Are any of you using the v7.7 SQL.Function command to make a Direct DBMS Function Call? This is the only document I could find on the subject.

It's working well when I pass fixed values to the SQL Function but I can't figure out how to get it to accept an AmperVariable.

Any of you been able to do that? If so, what's the trick?

Thanks!

Dan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Pinault,

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Just a guess, but if you put .EVAL on the amper variables ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
<JJI>
posted
Dan,

I'm using SQL pass through a lot an also using "user defined functions" in the SQL-code.
First I test my code with fixed values from within SQL query analyzer and then from within my WebFOCUS procedure.
If this is all working then I replace the fix values by the &vars and then I retest my code again in Webfocus.

This works very well for my.
an example:
-* This example shows the use of an &var in a plain sql-code 
SQL SQLMSS
SELECT     TRANSLATION_LANGUAGE.TL_ID			AS LANG_TL_ID,
           CONVERT ( nvarchar ( 50 ) , [TRANSLATION].T_TEXT  ) AS TRANS_TEXT
FROM  TRANSLATION_LANGUAGE
   INNER JOIN [TRANSLATION] ON TRANSLATION_LANGUAGE.TP_ID_LONG = [TRANSLATION].TP_ID
WHERE     ([TRANSLATION].TL_ID = [COLOR:RED]&Lang[/COLOR])
ORDER BY TRANSLATION_LANGUAGE.TL_ID
;
TABLE ON TABLE HOLD AS TMP_LANG FORMAT XFOCUS INDEX LANG_TL_ID
END

or this example:
-* Thes example uses a &var in a user defined sql function

SQL SQLMSS
SELECT ....
dbo.TRANSLATION_GET(dbo.ROLE.TP_ID, &Lang)  AS ROLENAME_EN
END

Since you using WF 7.7X which is more strict than the WF7.1.7 I'm using, I would suggest Waz solution by using the .EVAL syntax.

Would it be possible to post your code so we can see what you are trying to do.
Regards,

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Sorry folks. I should have mentioned that I tried the .EVAL method. It doesn't like it. I get (FOC36342) INVALID TYPE OF ARGUMENT #2 FOR SQL. FUNCTION

What I like about this feature is that I can use it in a WebFOCUS context. I don't need to create a SQL Passthru procedure (BTW, I can call my functions and pass a variable using SQL Passthru). This method allows me to continue working with my metadata that is already set up on WebFOCUS. Plus, I can create the DEFINEd field right inside the master and make the field available to users.

Just need to get past this hurdle...

Dan

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
(FOC36342) INVALID TYPE OF ARGUMENT #2 FOR SQL. FUNCTION

It's probably expecting a character value, either a character literal or a reference to a character-valued column.

Note that, in the example you cited, ...
DEFINE FILE GGORA
VALUE/I8 MISSING ON = SQL.COALESCE(Biscotti, Capuccino, Croissant, Espresso, Latte);
END

... the arguments (Biscotti, etc.) are column references, not literals.

Try &myvar.QUOTEDSTRING in place of &myvar

This message has been edited. Last edited by: j.gross,

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This may sound silly but, does your SQL function work if you pass an actual field as a parameter?

I so, you could try creating a DEFINE field, assign your amper variable to it and then use that virtual field as input to the SQL function.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Way to go Jack! Good One

Even though my function wants to receive an integer I had to use .QUOTEDSTRING after my amper variable to get it to work. Go figure!

Thanks all,

Dan

Guru
posted Hide Post
Here's an update with some helpful hints...

If you are calling the SQL function from inside a WebFOCUS procedure and you want to pass a variable into the function:
- the variable can be either local (&) or global (&&)
- regardless of what data type the SQL function is expecting to receive all variables must be coded as strings
For example, assume I have a SQL function like this
CREATE FUNCTION [dbo].[fnSalesQty]
(
	@prodCntry varchar(99), @salesCntry varchar(99), @prodQty int, @expFact float, @impFact float
)
RETURNS FLOAT
AS
BEGIN
DECLARE @SQL varchar(255)
	IF (@prodCntry = @salesCntry) 
	BEGIN
	SET @SQL = (SELECT (@prodQty - (@prodQty * @expFact))) /* If Production and Sales Country are same then solve for Captive Production */
	END
	ELSE
	SET @SQL = (SELECT (@prodQty * @expFact * @impFact))   /* else solve for Imported Production */
RETURN (@SQL)	
END

Note that the parameter @prodQty is declared as an integer. Let's assume I want to call this function from a WebFOCUS procedure and pass @prodQty as an amper-variable
DEFINE FILE MYFILE
SALESQTY/D20.2 = SQL.MYDB.MYSCHEMA.fnsalesQty(PRODCNTRY, SALESCNTRY,  &PRODQTY.QUOTEDSTRING, EXPFACTOR, IMPFACTOR);
END 

Note how &PRODQTY needs to be in quotes even though fnsalesQty wants it to be an integer. Also note that EXPFACTOR and IMPFACTOR are real fields and thus can be passed in as-is even though they are float types.
Now all you need to do is include the field named SALESQUANTITY in your report procedure. Just remember to provide a value for the &PRODQTY global variable.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
If you are calling the SQL function from inside a MASTER file and you want to pass a variable into the function:
- the variable must be declared in the MASTER file
- the variable must be global (&&)
- regardless of what data type the SQL function is expecting to receive all variables must be coded as strings
For example, assume the same SQL function shown above
Let's assume I want to call this function from a MASTER file and still pass @prodQty as an amper-variable. Entries in the MFD would look like
VARIABLE NAME=&&PRODQTY,  USAGE=I11, $
DEFINE SALESQUANTITY/D20.2=SQL.MYDB.MYSCHEMA.fnsalesQty(UN_COUNTRY, SALESCOUNTRY, '&&PRODQTY', EXP_FACTOR, IMP_FACTOR);
      TITLE='Sales Quantity', $

Note the variable declaration and then the inclusion of the variable in the function. This time it is in single quotes. The .QUOTEDSTRING method does not work in the MASTER file.
Now all you need to do is include the field named SALESQUANTITY in your report procedure. Just remember to provide a value for the &&PRODQTY global variable. To prevent errors you can also add a default value for the variable in the master file. Be cautious though, defaulting the value could cause confusion in the results if it is not clear to the user that some value has been set without their knowledge.
VARIABLE NAME=&&PRODQTY,  USAGE=I11, DEFAULT='10000', $

I don't quite get why the variables need to be passed as strings as jgross pointed out earlier in this thread but it helps to know this when setting it all up!

Cheers,

Dan

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the detailed example Dan. Good points to keep in mind.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2

Expert
posted Hide Post
Should I expect this to work:
WHERE AGENCYCODE CONTAINS SQL.LOWER(&SDEALER1.QUOTEDSTRING) OR TEMPNAME CONTAINS SQL.LOWER(&SDEALERN1.QUOTEDSTRING);

In SQL Server, I get this error:
(FOC263) EXTERNAL FUNCTION OR LOAD MODULE NOT FOUND: SQL.LOWER

In DB2, I get this error:
 FOC2565 - THE OBJECT  OF IF/WHERE CANNOT BE CONVERTED TO SQL
 FOC2566 - WHERE WH$$$1 CANNOT BE CONVERTED TO SQL
 FOC2575 - COMBINATION OF OPERANDS FOR CONTAINS CANNOT BE CONVERTED TO SQL
 FOC2590 - AGGREGATION NOT DONE FOR THE FOLLOWING REASON:
 FOC2598 - FOCUS IF/WHERE TEST CANNOT BE PASSED TO SQL

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This works with Oracle:

TABLE FILE BLAH
WHERE MYFIELD EQ SQL.UPPER('VALUE');
END

SQL trace shows:

SELECT T1...
FROM BLAH T1
WHERE (T1."MYFIELD" = UPPER('VALUE'))

Attempting to use it in combination with CONTAINS however does not work, though the message I get is different to yours:

TABLE FILE BLAH
WHERE MYFIELD CONTAINS SQL.UPPER('VALUE');
END

Gives me the message below which sort of makes sense as CONTAINS not always translates to native SQL:

(FOC32605) NON OPTIMIZABLE EXPRESSION WITH SQL. SYNTAX