Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] List Box Data Source and Report Caster

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] List Box Data Source and Report Caster
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
My FOCEXEC runs just fine using a .mas as the data source for a multi-select parameter list box. WHen I try to put it in Report Caster, to select the 5 Funds, the Advance Task Options screen 1. does not come up very fast and doesn't paint/show very well, and 2. seems to hang.

There are 737 rows in the table.

As I type this the screen kind of came back. The parameter properties shows, 'No Selection' and then a few rows of '00', seems like a lot of rows.

Can Report Caster not handle a parameter based on a MFD? The doc says it can.

I want one report that can run in Report Caster for a select group of Funds and also be an Ad Hoc for the users to select them at run time.

Any help or ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rick Man,

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Master
posted Hide Post
.mas is not your data source, it is your master file definition (a discription of your data). Are you scheduling Report Caster or launching it from your parameter screen? If you aree scheduling it, you have to click on the Advanced button (on the task) and enter your parameters.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Correct the data source isn't the .mas.
When I click the advance button in Report Caster it 'hangs', like it is trying to load all the fund codes, which it should, so that I can select the 5 I want.

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It does not load any parameter values when clicking on the Advanced button. It will simply provide a text box where you can type in the parameter values you wish to use. ReportCaster does not provide ANY of the functionality provided by a launch page, like parm value lookups, chaining, ALL, etc. Additionally, it sounds like you are wanting to do a multi-select on fund code. Be aware that multi-select functionality also is NOT provided the same way. You would have to manually feed the values into each of the indexed parameter slots (&parm0, &parm1,&parm2,&parm3,&parm4,&parm5) or possibly make some tricky use of an OR string of parms.

As to why it seems to "hang", I can't really say, but it's not because it's trying to load any values - there's nothing to load values into in RC.

One other thing, (that may not apply) in the version we are on (716) you must have the "prompt for parameters" property on the fex turned on in order for the "Advanced" button to work properly when clicked in RC. Don't know if that has changed for your version.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Are you trying to load your parameter screen into Report Caster or the fex that loads your drop downs boxes? That won't work. You need to hard code the parameters for your report program. If you have the prompt for parameters set on and it is still hanging up check your program for -TYPE, -EXIT or ECHO. Comment it out while you create your parameters. You can uncomment those lines once you have your report caster job set up.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Rick,

I guess that you have something along the lines of -
WHERE column_name EQ &Variable.(OR(FIND column_name IN table_name))
in the code that you are pointing to within RC?

I set up a similar one with a select that would pull out around 4000 rows. When I went in to RC advance to select the values, RC returned them in pretty good time, in fact quicker than amper autoprompting did when run manually.

Version of RC that is in use here? 7.6.2

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Exactly, on the WHERE. But my repotr caster won't bring up the list. We are on 7.6.2

Here are links to the screen prints.

RC Screen Print
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2mp9y11&s=3

MRE Auto Prompt
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=aylxyw&s=3

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
Rick,

The source table I used was Oracle, it shouldn't make a difference.

How fast is it when you run using amper autopromt? If it is decidedly slow then try and improve the efficiency of the FIND by extracting a file overnight just containing the values on which you wish to select.

For instance, if you have a table of 6 million rows with 1000 distinct values of the field in which you are interested, run an extract overnight to pick up the latest distinct values and hold it in a file so that when your WHERE clause is evaluated, it doesn't have to read through 6,000,000 rows, only 1000.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
There are only 723 rows, one per fund, in the table.
Here is the WHERE clause:

WHERE RPRAWRD.RPRAWRD.RPRAWRD_FUND_CODE EQ &RPRAWRD_FUND_CODE.(OR(FIND RFRBASE.RFRBASE.RFRBASE_FUND_CODE IN rfrbase))

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
How fast is it when you run using amper autoprompt?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
A count of one thousand 6. It is even faster using the html created in painter, a count of one thousand 3

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I opened a case, 42032554 , with IBI and we finally figured it out. The GUI uses qualified field names in the FIND command and Report Caster can not handle that. If you set up this code in Report Caster and switch the WHEREs you will see the difference. The first WHERE will not work.
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR MODEL BODYTYPE
BY COUNTRY
WHERE COUNTRY EQ &CNTY.(OR(FIND CAR.COUNTRY IN CAR)).COUNTRY.;
-*WHERE COUNTRY EQ &CNTY.(OR(FIND COUNTRY IN CAR)).COUNTRY.;
END

Reporting Server 7.6.10
Dev. Studio 7.6.8
Windows NT
Excel, HTML, PDF