Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     (FOC030) ALL VERB OBJECTS MUST BE IN THE SAME PATH AS THEIR SORT FIELDS

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
(FOC030) ALL VERB OBJECTS MUST BE IN THE SAME PATH AS THEIR SORT FIELDS
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all,

I am facing this error when I join two Dimension tables with one Fact table in 'Custom Reports'. And when i drag a column from dimension table then it throws this error (at this stage fact and dimension table fields are logically seen as the field of single table across 'dimension and measures' in custom report).

Join Type : Inner
Instance : Multiple (one to many)

Can anyone plz help me out.

Please also advise on below point :
Is it a product limitation, because we cannot keep specifying or explaining each user about the concepts of joins or Fact & Dimensions(alike a technical person who can understand the concepts). I feel then reporting object, being an alternative approach, is better from user point of view?

Thanks!

Sagar

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SSB26,

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Sagar,

In terms of the error - if this is truly a fact table/dimension table relationship, then you probably need to change the joins to not be one-to-many joins, which is the default. If they are one-to-one joins, then you shouldn't get this error.

In terms of allowing non-technical users to create their own reports - I think these complexities should be pre-defined in the metadata layer.

There are probably many ways to do this. I generally use a combination of the following three approaches:
1) As you mentioned, creating Reporting Objects which they can use
-or
2) Create a "guided adhoc" report
-or-
3) Spend the time setting up the synonyms (master files/access files) to be more "user friendly". Have you considered this? i.e. pre-defining the "joins" in the master files?

For the latter, you can set up the joins, create hierarchies for your dimensions, create virtual fields, change the titles, add field and file descriptions etc. Definitely worth the effort in the long run.

quote:
a product limitation

Never! Not in WebFOCUS! Wink

WebFOCUS 8.2.06 mostly Windows Server

Posts: 195 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: September 13, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Twanette for your Reply!
Your points really give me new approach.

One-to-one relationship did make a sense. I tried it and yes it really worked fine.

And I will try for your third approach but it seems to me alike what we do in reporting objects too. Pre-defining everything is better idea when looking from user point of view.

Thanks Again!

Sagar

WebFOCUS 7.6
Windows, All Outputs