Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Run Function when Form fails validation

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Run Function when Form fails validation
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I have a situation where I need to perform a post process if my form fails to validate. I know I can write my own form validation... but why do that when WF already validates your inputs using the REQUIRED attribute? Does anyone know which function performs the form validation in WF? If I knew what to call I could hopefully just call that and depending on the response run the OnExecute or my Post processing function. Or if I can't get to that function, is there a way to recognize when the OnExecute has failed? When I'm testing this, it looks like its just performing an exit and killing my function. If thats the case that probably won't help either.

I know I can create my own JS validation, but I would prefer taping into standard WF functions instead.

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Eric,

This is a friendly follow up regarding your question - Run Function when Form fails validation.

While we wait to see if any members provide assistance, can you clarify which environment you are creating this HTML page in, since you have indicated WebFOCUS 7703/4 and 8008.

Can you clarify your statements "if my form fails to validate"? As I'm sure you know within the HTML each control can be set so that only valid selections can be made or in WF8x JavaScript can be added into the HTML page for extra processing. In a subsequent focexec ( can be considered a post process) you can validate all the &Variables are correct and branch off depending on the situation.

In WebOCUS8x within Dev Studio HELP - you can find all the JavaScript functions that can be used. Search within the HELP / Search - Using JavaScript Code With HTML Composer Pages

Let me know more details and we can continue to assist you.

Tamra Colangelo
Focal Point Forum Moderator
Information Builders Inc.

WebFOCUS 8x - BI Portal, Developer Studio, App Studio, Excel, PDF, Active Formats and HTML5

Posts: 487 | Location: Toronto | Registered: June 23, 2009Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hey Tamra,

I'm working in 8.0.08. I've looked at the documented Javascript functions and they are painfully out of date as well as painfully incomplete.
quote:
Using JavaScript Code With HTML Composer Pages
In this section:

Function: IbComposer_populateDynamicCtrl
Function: IbComposer_getComponentById
Function: IbComposer_getCurrentSelection
Function: IbComposer_getCurrentSelectionEx
Function: IbComposer_setCurrentSelection
Function: IbComposer_execute
Function: IbComposer_isSelected

Function: IbComposer_showHtmlElement
Function: IbComposer_enableHtmlElement
Function: IbComposer_ResetDownChainControls
Function: IbComposer_selectTab
Function: IbComposer_selectTemplateTab
Function: IbComposer_getAllAmpersValues
Event: onbeforeload
Event: onafterload

I have my select boxes set to prevent the run of the fex if one of those boxes isn't populated. The problem is, that I have processes that occur before and after I run the fex. Some of these processes need to run regardless of the form validating and others shouldn't run at all. Somewhere in WebFOCUS's code for the OnExecute command (Not documented but is what is used in the onSubmit button) is a break statement if the form fails to validate. when this happens, my entire function stops and the processes I need to run don't run.

What I would like to do is seperate out the two processes. Run the Validation process that the OnExecute uses first, then follow with my pre-processing, form execution (still using the onExecute), and post-processing. If the Validation were to break on the JS when I run that first, then I'ld be ok because my pre-processing never ran. If it doesn't break, it should return some value that I can interrogate and control my processing from there.

Does this help clarify my needs?

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post