Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Im Memory Processing - Case opened with IBI

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Im Memory Processing - Case opened with IBI
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I have opened a case with IBI asking for a New Feature Request (NFR). Here is what I and asking for and if you agree with open a NFR requestig the same feature. I would like to be able to tell the Reporting Server to allocate a chunk of memory say 4Gig that I could then store summary data in to provide extreamly fast processing on any sat of data that I tell it to load into the memory space. It would be used for certain information and would have to be reloaded when the reporting server restarts. I have tested something like this using RAMDisk be thats a 3rd party software and in a sure environment it may not be allowed. Having this feature builtin to the reporting server would be really great.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TexasStingray,

Scott

Expert
posted Hide Post
My initial thought was Ramdisk, what was the performance like ?

Is there any adverse affect on CPU usage ?

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
WHen I did some testing using a physical drive I had a process that took 45 seconds to run, when I used ramdisk it finished in 3 seconds. disk i/o is very time consumung. I do not believe CPU usage would be effected. If the process actually runs faster because its using RAM instead of a physical drive then you could actually get more users/process in and out of the server quicker.

Scott

Expert
posted Hide Post
This is interesting anf intriguing.

Not sure we could use RAMDisk here, mainly due to the amount of data that some reports play around with, but certainly looks like a promising option if IBI go for it.

I think these days performance is one of the top features needed in e BI system.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post