Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] One Portal, Multiple Databases

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] One Portal, Multiple Databases
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I'm trying to create one portal that can dynamically switch which database it's accessing. Within the .fex I'm using ENGINE SQLMSS SET DEFAULT_CONNETION &PROGRAM. What I'm trying to figure out is how can I dynamically fill the &PROGRAM variable from a portal or html page without the user needing to select a parameter on every page.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 8104, Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
Rev1,

You might want to consider passing the url domain that the user is accessing through the Custom Settings on the Web Client. Would that provide you what you need?

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
If I can send it with the querystring and not affect the current dashboards, yes.

Master
posted Hide Post
Rev,

Your going to want to download the WebFOCUS Security and Administration manual. Chapter 10 talks about how to pass HTTP Header variables. That will tell you what you need to do. In my instance I pull the Host header variable. You probably will want to pull the Path Info. Take a look at whats available to see if thats what you need. Unfortunately I don't know how you've set up your portals, so I can't get to specific on other things you can do. But you can set up variables in a lot of different places.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I might also be over complicating things. If you just want to pass a variable to an HTML page, you would create a fex, and you can HTMLFORM INCLUDE the html page like this:

-SET &VAR1='This is my Variable'  

-HTMLFORM IBFS:/WFC/Repository/Location/Your_HTML_Here.htm

in the HTML you can use the syntax !IBI.AMP; to access the variable

!IBI.AMP.VAR1; 

you can then put that in a hidden input on the page and pass it down to the fex.

There are a lot of things you can do, from putting the variable into the Site Profile, into the EDASPROF, the Custom Settings on the WebClient. It all depends on how global you want to make it.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
So I looked over the security and administration manual. None of the HTTP header variables are returning the web query string. They return a query string but not the browsers string. Looks more like an IBI re-direct.

Passing the variable gets really complex. We are already using an HTML to call a main data fex and store everything in foc cache. That fex then calls another HTML with all the graphs on it.

I could just create a separate portal and separate main html's for each client and just call the same .fex but when we add pages or changes then it would have to be applied to 20+ clients.

Any other ideas?

Master
posted Hide Post
Rev1,

Its really hard to provide you guidance because I don't know how your system is setup. I know a number of different ways to secure and paramaterize things, but I have no idea what will work in your situation. You are going to have to decide that on your own. The biggest thing that I don't know is how you are identifying your clients. Is it by the URL client1.mybi.com, or is it a part of the query string? rev1.mybi.com/ibi_apps/wfservlet?&client1...
Is it by groups identified on the WebClient, groups captured in LDAP, some custome security table... There are a lot of unknowns for us. Without you providing some examples about your existing system, I can't help you any further

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
It's LDAP security. We don't use an initial sign-in screen. We capture everybody by active directory group from their network sign-on. All the users are hitting the same URL. My thought was add an initial screen for these clients and use hyperlinks to redirect them to the same url for the same portal with a query string attached.

Master
posted Hide Post
again Rev1. How do you know who is who? If its by group, you can use the function GRPLST() to identify their groups and adjust the &PROGRAM variable accordingly. Take a closer look at your security model to identify what makes them unique, then identify how to capture that informaton. Again if its by their AD Group designation, look up GRPLST in the help file.

Eric Woerle
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2