Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] MATCH FILE
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
So, I'm doing a MATCH FILE command. Looks more or less like this:

MATCH FILE ACS_SELREC_OTHINS_HOLD1
PRINT MAP_ID
NAME_KEY
APNAME_CHANGE
ADDRESS_KEY
BY APP_KEY
RUN
FILE ACS_SELREC_OTHINS_HOLD4
PRINT OTHER_RX_OPID
OPID
BY APP_KEY
AFTER MATCH HOLD AS ACS_SELREC_OTHINS_HOLD5 OLD
END
-RUN

Here's the thing -- I have two records in my "new" file for one record in my "old" file. The result I get shows a fully formed first record, with all the fields from the old file and all the fields from the new file. The second record has no fields from the old file and all the fields from the new file.

I need all the fields from the old file in both output records.

I may replace the whole thing with a join, but the question is this -- is this normal behavior for a MATCH FILE command? I have dozens of these in a very big unit that I did not write, but that I'm on the hook for to correct due to an error. Are there options on MATCH FILE that tell it to include all the first file's fields in each of the matches it finds?

J.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If I understand well, your "old" file is ..._HOLD1 and "new" is ..._HOLD4

If you have more records in HOLD4 then HOLD1, only first match between HOLD1 and HOLD4 will be "joined" with data of both files.
If you want all records from HOLD4 inherit from HOLD1 values you need a JOIN or maybe trying inverting your MATCH FILE may do the job:

MATCH FILE ACS_SELREC_OTHINS_HOLD4
PRINT OTHER_RX_OPID
 OPID
BY APP_KEY
RUN
FILE ACS_SELREC_OTHINS_HOLD1
PRINT MAP_ID 
 NAME_KEY 
 APNAME_CHANGE
 ADDRESS_KEY
BY APP_KEY
AFTER MATCH HOLD AS ACS_SELREC_OTHINS_HOLD5 OLD
END
-RUN

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Elementary:

In match file, there is a major difference between SUM and PRINT. Where a non-aggregating verb (PRINT) is used, there can be multiple instances per combination of sort-key values, and the order of occurrence within each unique set of BY values is added as an implicit lowest=level sort key to break any ties. If the OLD and NEW sets have different cardinality for a given key, the excess instances on the one side get paired with null instances on the other. Hence you are getting
#1 :: #1
#2 :: (nada)
as the two merged records, when OLD contains two instances and NEW just one for a given sort-key.

You need to re-work your request to use SUM / SUM, rather than PRINT / PRINT. You'll need to add at least one additional sort key, such as will suffice to give each retrieved record instance a unique place in the sort order (a unique row in the respective internal matrix before the two are merged); then SUM will not encounter any key duplication, so the nominal aggregation will have no opportunity to combine multiple records, and you'll get the same result as you'd expect for PRINT.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thank you both. I think a Join is in order. Shouldn't be a problem.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
Elementary:

And then Professor Gross proceeds with his dissertation ! Good One

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
In addition to wisdom from Prof. Gross, I would advise trapping the SQL (if applicable) from both the MATCH version and the JOIN version and comparing. It is likely that the JOIN version will be more efficient as the JOIN will be actioned at the RDBMS whereas the MATCH is likely to result in separate SELECT statements for each table and the work done by WebFOCUS.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post