Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Splitting a variable

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Splitting a variable
 Login/Join

<Arun>
posted
Hi All,
i have a variable 'Group_by' being sent in the URL . I need to use this variable to perform column-total. If we need to do group by on Field 4 and Field 2 , then in the variable we will get those values separated by '|' symbol like :

&Group_by=Field4|Field2

Since i cant use &Group_by variable directly , i need to split the variable into 2 and use in my reporting.

since the length of columns will differ , i cant use SUBSTR and split these variables . Can anyone tell me how can i solve this problem.

Thanks,
Arun

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Arun,

There have been many questions like this in the Forum before and a search would have given you suggestions such as GETTOK over an hour ago.

The search facility is quite comprehensive and should be well used. Try using each time you have a question as it could save you enormous amounts of time.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Arun
you can use the SUBSTR function that you already know, if in fact there is actually some character (or even a blank) in the field that separates the two elements, even if that location varies for each record.
Look up the POSIT function.
POSIT will give you the location within a string of a specified character.
POSIT returns a 0 if it doesn't find that character.
POSIT(parent, inlength, substring, sublength, outfield)
Lets say the input string is 20 long, the character is a dash, and you define a field
MYPLACE/I2=POSIT(input,1,'-',1,MYPLACE);
then your first SUBSTR reads the input up to the posit location-1.
Your second SUBSTR reads the input starting with the posit location + 1;
bulletproofing note: Make each resulting field the same length as the input field, to allow for no dash.
FIRSTBIT/A20=SUBSTR(20,input,1,MYPLACE-1,MYPLACE,FIRSTBIT);
etc. you get the idea.
GETTOK is a more elegant way to do it,
but i thought you might like to use the SUBSTR function you already know.
-S

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I agree with Tony and Susannah.

Get to know the WebFOCUS functions, the manual can be downloaded, or looked up online.

Study it and make it your friend and it will help you many times in the future.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post