Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     <SOLVED>Renaming fex file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
<SOLVED>Renaming fex file
 Login/Join

posted
Our developer had a spelling error with the name of a report when he initially created a fex file for us.

we fixed the spelling error in the report itself, but the actual fex file name still has the report name wrong, and this is what shows up in the schedule information.

We tried to rename the fex file on the server, but it didn't work. It still kept the old file name.

If we name a fex file wrong to begin with, is there anyway to fix this?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: LoriBlake,

Windows, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I'm a begginner, so there may be a better way, but our dba said that to get the names to match, in developer studio, right click on the file and choose Edit In Text Editor. Select All (ctrl+A) Copy, Close the file, In developer studio, right click and choose New Procedure, Give it the name you want, Create, go to text view and paste, Save it.

File should now have same name for Name and File Name.

WebFocus 7.7.03
Win7, all output

Expert
posted Hide Post
HA HA HA! Good answer! Big Grin

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What sxschech described is exactly what we all (or most of the ones I know Smiler ) must do when we don't like or simply misspelled the procedure name in the MRE.

The problem with this approach is that it does not really fix your problem. All we end up doing is creating a brand new procedure with the same logic as the one before, but Report Caster schedules are still tied to the previous one and so are other internal MRE links.

The only pervasive way to change that would be to hack into the Report Caster repository tables and use SQL to make the updates, then go to the "basedir" folder in the WebFOCUS client, identify your domain, edit the corresponding .htm file and CAREFULLY edit it to change the procedure name .... and I'm afraid that even this may not be sufficient.

Real solution? Ask your developer not to make any spelling errors the first time around Frowner (yeah, right!)

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
1. Create one with the correct name and copy the contents of the original into it.

2. Replace the contents of the original with a -INCLUDE line that points to the corrected version. Document the reason.

3. All future schedules and dashboards should use the new version. When the old version falls out of use you can remove it, but it really doesn't matter if that never happens.

If Report Caster is happy with the underlying misspelling I'd likely just ignore it. The only part of the system that's going to care about the mismatch is the human part, and they see the expanded name. So option two is to just correct the human-readable name and leave the system name incorrect. I'd be surprised if anyone noticed or cared.

J.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
What I would do is:

1. Rename the misspelled procedure in the file system.

2. Delete the original file from MRE.

3. Rename the (from 1) to the name you want and import it into MRE.

4. Update the column TASKOBJ in the table BOTTASK in the Report Caster repository.

5. Keep you fingers crossed....

Håkan

WebFOCUS DS 8.0.06/08 DS/AS
WebFOCUS RS 8.0.08 (Linux/IBM i)
WebFOCUS Client 8.0.06 (Linux)

Posts: 319 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: February 04, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help everyone!

I decided to go the route of just creating new files with the correct spelling, and copying the contents into those files.

Our users actually did notice the spelling error, so we had to fix it.

Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Glad you found a way around it. Would you please edit your original post and prefix the title with either [SOLVED] or [CLOSED] (whichever makes you feel better)? Smiler

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.