Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Customize No Data Message

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] Customize No Data Message
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Can someone point me to the file or method to customize the text displayed when no data is returned? I know about the empty report option, I want to customize the text. I am looking to do this for a large body of IA users, so I am looking at a server-wide solution. This is not for reports produced in Developer Studio, so I can't introduce custom code per report.

I have already read the following posts, which don't suggest a way to do this for IA users:

http://forums.informationbuild...171078331#2171078331

http://forums.informationbuild...1077331/r/4951077331

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TOM SCHULTE,

WebFOCUS 7.7.04M/8001
Windows Server 2008
Excel, PDF, HTML, AHTML

http://www.plex.com

Posts: 73 | Location: Auburn Hills, MI | Registered: September 29, 2011Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Take a look at this thread: Change MR message "No Html Output!", particularly to what dhagen specifies.

File C:\ibi\WebFOCUS77\client\wfc\etc\ENtemplate.xml contains the html that is displayed for different errors. Look for "error_42". You can replace the html between the HTML tags. MAKE A BACKUP FIRST!

You will see proprietary inserttext tags - these are to insert text based on the selected language if multi-language is on. These text strings are contained in file C:\ibi\WebFOCUS77\client\wfc\etc\ENwebfoc_strings.lng. You don't need to use these text strings, unless you want to. If so, you can change the text in XXwebfoc_strings.lng, where XX is EN or FR or ES, etc.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Francis!

WebFOCUS 7.7.04M/8001
Windows Server 2008
Excel, PDF, HTML, AHTML

Posts: 73 | Location: Auburn Hills, MI | Registered: September 29, 2011Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hmm,

I can't get the reports made by my IA users to return anything but the empty report. I have put I haven't been able to figure out how to get us back to the EOF report with "EDA no data" to appear. I just get the empty report (headers, no rows). I have tried placing "SET EMPTYREPORT = OFF" in the server profile (edapsprof.prf) and the FEX file we are using as our indicated _site_profile with no change in behavior in either case even after a restart of the workspace.

Any one have any ideas? I have looked for relevant configuration settings...

WebFOCUS 7.7.04M/8001
Windows Server 2008
Excel, PDF, HTML, AHTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm a bit confused by your last post, particularly

"I have put I haven't been able to figure out how to get us back to the EOF report with "EDA no data" to appear."

Are you getting an empty report even when there is data? Did this start happening since you made a change to the configuration file?

SET EMPTYREPORT={ANSI|ON|OFF}

ANSI - Produces a single-line report and displays the missing data character or a zero if a COUNT is requested. In each case, &RECORDS will be 0, and &LINES will be 1.

If the SQL Translator is invoked, ANSI automatically replaces OFF as the default setting for EMPTYREPORT.

ON - Produces an empty report (column headings with no content). This was the default behavior in prior releases.

OFF - Produces no report output. OFF is the default value except for SQL Translator requests. When the SQL Translator is invoked, ANSI replaces OFF as the default setting for the EMPTYREPORT parameter, so the results are the same as for the ANSI setting.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Sorry, no I have made some reports that always return zero rows in order to test, but no matter where I put SET EMPTYREPORT = OFF, I always get an empty report (column headings, no rows). What I want, is the text "... EDA no data" so I can test customizing it.

WebFOCUS 7.7.04M/8001
Windows Server 2008
Excel, PDF, HTML, AHTML

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this helps but you can add a message to the Empty Report like this:

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY CAR
WHERE COUNTRY EQ 'CANADA'
ON TABLE SET EMPTYREPORT ON
END
-IF &RECORDS EQ 0 THEN GOTO XXX ELSE GOTO ENDD;
-XXX
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
No Records Found For Your Selection
-HTMLFORM END
-EXIT
-ENDD
-EXIT

You can do whatever you like between the 'HTMLFORM' tags

WF 7.7.04, WF 8.0.7, Win7, Win8, Linux, UNIX, Excel, PDF

Posts: 175 | Location: Pomona, NY | Registered: August 06, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thnks, Alex

That would be great if I were writing WebFOCUS code in Developer Studio. I am supporting InfoAssist users that can't even use editor. So I am looking for something to configure or do server-side that would affect all IA users. I have tried putting "SET EMPTYREPORT = OFF" in edasprof and our server-level site profile fex, to no effect.

Either I am missing some configuration spot, or maybe this has something to do with our upgrdrade from 7.7.03 to 7.7.04M

WebFOCUS 7.7.04M/8001
Windows Server 2008
Excel, PDF, HTML, AHTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
I didn't know what "IA" was until now - I have no experience with Info Assist, so I don't know if the suggestion I made will work.

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis -

I appreciate your help all the same, it ends up this is a change due to the 7.7.04M version we are on. Apparently for WF8 (which requires the 7.7.04 server, there is coming a different set of rules for EMPTYREPORT. It certainly looks like it is affecting my IA users, but I don't know that reports developed in Studio will be affected.

If any are interestedl, I can update here when I get some resolution or final answer, IBI CASE# 82012555)

WebFOCUS 7.7.04M/8001
Windows Server 2008
Excel, PDF, HTML, AHTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
I've been warned to stay away from v7.7.04M!

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Well, we're multi-tenant SaaS, and in my opinion you can't fully express multi-tenant SaaS BI on 7.7.03 and you have to have 7.7.04M to connect up WF8 cleints where the multi-tenant SaaS is more fully realized... So, we really have no choice... By and large our WF8 beta is exciting and the whole product by and large looks great, for us.

WebFOCUS 7.7.04M/8001
Windows Server 2008
Excel, PDF, HTML, AHTML

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
This file [drive]:\ibi\WebFOCUS77\client\wfc\etc\ENwebfoc_strings.lng contains messages that are returned for various conditions. You can alter the text for Message 42, returned when there is no data. Keep in mind that changing this file will have to be repeated when you upgrade.

WF 7.7.04, WF 8.0.7, Win7, Win8, Linux, UNIX, Excel, PDF

Posts: 175 | Location: Pomona, NY | Registered: August 06, 2003Report This Post