Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     ReportCaster Inline message vs attachment

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
ReportCaster Inline message vs attachment
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
We have report which runs every 1 minute by ReportCaster. Distribution addresses are created dynamically by WebFocus procedure. Whenever employee updates his records we send email to this employee and to HR department. For example, when employee # 111 updates his info email goes to employee111@company.com and to hr@company.com
All emails should go as inline message.
Everything works fine when 1 employee updates info during 1 minute.
When 2 employees update info during 1 minute then these 2 employees get correct emails at their email addresses, but there is issue with emails to hr@company.com - 1 email goes to hr@company.com as inline message and the 2nd email goes as attachment to that message. Why 2nd email goes as attachment and not as separate inline email?
Note - we have just 1 task in ReportCaster (I know ReportCaster can't do 2 tasks as inline message, but this is not our case).
Thank you.

WF 7.6.4, Win XP, SQL 2005

Posts: 42 | Location: California | Registered: August 17, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a bug/timing issue. I'd open a case if I were you.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Not a bug - that's the way it works. Your bursting a report (two in this case) but only have one recipient (hr@company.com) so the second one is an attachment.

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2003,SQL Server 2005,Oracle

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I was confused by Rick's explanation when I read it the first time, but now I almost got it (I think). I have ONE report (not two reports as Rick mentioned). However, if 2 employees update their info during 1 minute then the result of report creation procedure will be 2 separate reports. These reports are distributed by dynamic procedure in ReportCaster as inline messages to corresponding employees (which is great). The same reports at the same time should be distributed as well to hr@company.com as 2 separate inline messages, but ReportCaster can't do this because ... it can't send 2 separate reports as inline messages at the same time, so it does 1 report as inline message and the 2nd report comes as attachment to that inline message. Is this correct? Why it does this? Is it possible to make it send the 2nd report as separate inline message (not as attachment to the 1st message)?
Thanks

Guru
posted Hide Post
There is a setting in Report Caster Configuration: "Packet Email" that could be set to NO, but I think that only impacts how many emails the same address gets from bursting. If no bursting is involved in your solution, it may not work.

I had a similar problem in a reporting application I wrote a while back, and ended up using FILEDEFs of output followed by Unix e-mail commands (elm) to send the several emails exactly the way they needed to be from within Report Caster.

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Seva, sorry - sometimes I tend to think in tiny blocks Wink. You have a program that has the recipient as a BY field which you use to burst so each individual get's their own report. Since your essentially doing a carbon copy to hr@company.com, the 2 reports would be sent to one recipient, that's why they would get the first inline and the second as an attachment.

ex:

gumby's report gumby@company.com
pokey's report pokey@company.com

gumby's report hr@company.com
pokey's report hr@company.com

I had the same problem and I couldn't easily come up with an automatic solution. I set up a separate RC job and regenerated the reports and sent them all as attachments.

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2003,SQL Server 2005,Oracle

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Setting Packet email to No will cause separate emails to be sent for each burst value so that the hr receipient should get a separate email for each employee that does an update. This is however a global setting so if the setting is changed the change will apply to all ReportCaster jobs not just this particular job.

WebFOCUS All Releases

Posts: 45 | Location: NYC | Registered: September 21, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you everybody for your help. I've changed "Packet Email" setting to "No" in ReportCaster Configuration and it works now.