Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Report window with Amper Auto prompt makes Outlook current window

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Report window with Amper Auto prompt makes Outlook current window
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Hi

Sporadically I get a situation where you are in
a reporting window with amper autoprompt and it jumps to another window and will jump back again when you try to return to it. The window it goes to is normally Outlook, but this may be because Outlook is generally always open.

This may be a WF or an IE problem because the solution is close all IE windows and reopen.

John

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
John,

Do you have Office 2003 installed? If so that may be a possible source of the problem.

I can be merrily typing away in an application (doesn't matter which one) and all of a sudden some other app (normally Outlook as you state) gets focus. I then find that I've typed into the "ether" as I look at the keyboard and have to remember what it is I wanted to type (not all of us are touch typists - just tight and ......)!

Most infuriating Mad

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tony

We on W2k version of office although moving to 2003 shortly.

I'll put this down to Office and more specifically LookOut rather than WF, since a couple of users have moaned about this.

Regards

John

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I've sussed out what causes this now.

This problem occurs when you start another request before the agent's finished processing your previous request. (Amper autoprompting and you realise that the parameters were wrong or its taking too long).

When you start another request you dont kill the original request and the agent ploughs on and eventually tries to talk back to the IE window that requested it and this messes up all the Amper Autoprompting facilities.

This could be considered an IE bug or a wf bug. Certainly it would be nice if killing an IE window would kill the agent which in turn would kill the database request but that's probly ranked as a 'nice to have' rather than essential for IB.

Anyone get the same problem? Does IE7 cure this.

Expert
posted Hide Post
LookOut Good One
i would argue that killing a window should stay just the way it is...that sometimes a long job exceeds browser timeout and you want to the job to run...if you gotta kill a job for real, kill it for real. sometimes i want my users to be able to launch and then close and go do something else...and not sit and wait.
but that's just me.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Susannah I disagree - it would be great if killing a window would kill the agent. It would even be better if it would kill the database request, too. This has always bugged me about WF.
Usually the user just types in the wrong parameters, realizes the mistake, and kills the window.
Since the window is gone, the user isn't going to get the result anyway. If the report takes longer than that (or the result is just saved to disk), then Report Caster is the way to go. (Or running deferred if you are on MRE).

We have quite a few problems with orphaned agents, and have to put various processes in place to try to catch them before they eat up server or database time. Our architecture folks really hate this behaviour of WF.

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Of course one way to solve Users killing the browser because of incorrect input is to have trained and skilled (or intelligent?) Users (yeah right, like that's ever going to happen!!).

Oh the joys of client server communication!

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Talking of Nicknames for Products:

Tony had quite a good one for Windows - Windoze.

Normally I refer to Norton Internet Security as "Not on" Internet Security.

Wrod is my WordProcessor of choice having killed off the rest of the competition.

Any other suggestions - after all it is Friday afternoon!

Expert
posted Hide Post
But of course -

Microshaft

T