Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     db2 connect version 8

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
db2 connect version 8
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I hope this question makes sense because I am not a UNIX server person (that person is on vacation). I called IBI and they suggested I put the question out on the forum to ensure we're ok. We are currently on webfocus 5.3.3 and UNIX is our reporting server. Our data resides on the mainframe. The mainframe upgraded to DB2connect version 9 last night (in test .. this is not a production problem yet) so we are getting the following error:

(FOC1400) SQLCODE IS -1434 (HEX: FFFFFA66)
: [S1000] [IBM][CLI Driver] SQL1434N A CONNECT or ATTACH statement failed
: because of a client/server incompatibility between 32 bit and 64 bit pl
: atforms.

We believe we just need to upgrade our db2 connect on the UNIX box to version 8 (which is compatible with version 9 on the mainframe).

One thing IBI said was we need to be running in 32 bit mode in 533 ... well the error above indicates we need to be 64 bit processing. Does anyone have 533 using db2 connect version 8 in 64 bit processing? Does it work fine? Is there anything else beside upgrading the db2 connect version that we need to do?

One more note ... we have one application still on version 5.2.1 ... does anyone have db2 connect version 8 and 5.2.1 working?

Thanks.

webfocus 8.105M; os: windows; pdf, html, exl2k, csv

Posts: 179 | Registered: November 10, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I don't know if it will help at all, but this chart summarizes compatibility for WF 5.3.4. (charts for other versions are available as well):
Supported Systems and Adapters Information

It looks like DB2 7.2 and DB2 8.1 are compatible with WF 5.3.*

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
We are running DB2 8.1 on an AIX box. We use it to talk to both mid-tier and mainframe DB2 connections.

We are running 5.3.3 in production (till Oct. 27) and 7.6.2 in dev.

Our WebFOCUS software is the 32 bit on 64 bit version for AIX. I don't know about Solaris in this case.

What I would suggest is that you talk to your DBAs and/or your sys admins and show them the error you are getting. One of the first things that you want to do is have one of them do a successful connection from your WF reporting server platform using only DB2 tools. If that fails, your problem in not in WebFOCUS.

If that test is successful, you might want to do a passthru request through edastart -t with traceon. I think the syntax is

edastart -t -traceon

You must be logged onto the Unix box to do this. If you running WF with security on, you should have an id on that box. If not, does your WF Unix server sys admin have a backup? You need that person to go to your /dirname/ibi/srv53/wfs/bin directory where dirname is whereever the root directory of the installation is. You can also do this from the server admin id if you can log in as that.

Do you have access to the WebFOCUS console as an admin? You can also go to Procedures and do a passthru request from there.

These are starting points. Let me know what you find out from these steps. You must check standalone access to DB2 before you get WebFOCUS involved.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. Standalone is definitely working. I can pull any data from the mainframe using advanced query tool or my desktop. That was my first check this morning. Webfocus running on our windows platforn (desktops) in db2 connect version 8 is also working. We have definitely narrowed it down to our Unix server and we know that is not on db2 version 8. Since the mainframe converted last night to version 9, it has been stated that we need to be on db2 connect version 8 or newer. Db2 7 is not 64 bit.

As for doing anything on the UNIX console ... our person that knows how to do that stuff is on vacation. Never fails Smiler

We don't think our problem is necessarily webfocus, it's the db2 connect version on the UNIX server. I was checking on compatability with the versions in my post and the fact that we now need to be 64 bit processing according to the mainframe support area.

Francis, thanks for that document. We look good for 533, but 521 is not looking good (I found that document based on your document ... I now knew what to look for).

webfocus 8.105M; os: windows; pdf, html, exl2k, csv

Posts: 179 | Registered: November 10, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Time for a WebFocus upgrade? Wink

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
you won't see much advantage over ODBC by using the db2 connect.

our IBI representative said "well, db2 connect is a call-level interface, so it has advantages over the ODBC driver. we don't support the ODBC driver." So I called IBM and they told me to send him this.

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/db2/clifaq.htm#header_2

I printed it and posted it on the wall of my office so our IBM rep can't keep trying to sell us the DB2 enterprise edition for $100,000.

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Jason K.

I heard DB2 Connect is only something like 70$ per server.
Is enterprise edition really 100K$ ???

Because if it is, we will reconsider our plans.

Thanks

WFS/FFS/DM 7.6.4 / WFS/FFS/DM 7.6.8 / WFS/FFS/DM 7.6.9 / AS400 V5R4M0 / HTML / iSM 5.5sp2

Posts: 60 | Location: Kingsey-Falls, Québec, Canada | Registered: May 14, 2008Report This Post