Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     "page cannot be displayed" errors when running large reports

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
"page cannot be displayed" errors when running large reports
 Login/Join

<baumli>
posted
When we run large reports, we get this error a lot. The timeout was occuring just a few minutes after the report was ran, we increased the internet timeout time on the PC, and this increased the time it took to timeout, but didn't seem to help. I indexed all the holds, and this didn't help either.

Could there be a timing issue on the server side? It will timeout within 2-3 minutes in Internet Explorer. The code time has been set to timeout after 10 minutes on the server in case the session is in suspense, but it times out long before that.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If you're reporting against relational databases, it would be a good idea to set retrieval off and trace the generated SQL before doing anything else.

quote:
XRETRIEVAL Previews the format of a report without actually accessing any data. This parameter
enables you to perform TABLE, TABLEF, or MATCH requests and produce HOLD Master
Files without processing the report.
SET XRETRIEVAL = {ON|OFF}
where:
ON Performs retrieval when previewing a report. ON is the default value.
OFF Specifies that no retrieval is to be performed.
Put this at the top of the program:
SET XRETRIEVAL = OFF

-*-- Activate tracing ---
SET TRACEOFF = ALL
SET TRACEON = SQLTRANS
SET TRACEON = STMTRACE//CLIENT
SET TRACEON = SQLAGGR//CLIENT
SET TRACESTAMP = OFF
SET TRACEWRAP = 78
SET TRACEUSER = ON
-RUN

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Maryellen>,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<baumli>
posted
(FOC2598) FOCUS IF/WHERE TEST CANNOT BE PASSED TO SQL : ADV_SLCT
(FOC2590) AGGREGATION NOT DONE FOR THE FOLLOWING REASON:
(FOC2596) ONE OR MORE EXPRESSION(S) CAN NOT BE TRANSLATED TO SQL
SELECT T1."PIDM_KEY",T1."TERM_CODE_KEY",T1."ENROLLED_IND",
T1."REGISTERED_IND",T1."LEVL_CODE",T1."ADVISOR_LAST_NAME1",
T1."ADVISOR_FIRST_NAME1" FROM "AS_STUDENT_DATA" T1 WHERE
(T1."REGISTERED_IND" = 'Y') AND (T1."ENROLLED_IND" = 'Y') AND
(T1."TERM_CODE_KEY" = '200530') ORDER BY T1."PIDM_KEY";
...RETRIEVAL KILLED
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 0 LINES= 0

This is up to my first hold, is this an error, or is it displaying this because XRETRIEVAL is off?

The reason I ask is that this report has run before, using a smaller select group.

Report This Post
<baumli>
posted
I fixed the FOC2598 error, but I have no idea what to look for on the other two.

(FOC2594) AGGREGATION IS NOT APPLICABLE TO THE VERB USED
SELECT T1."PIDM_KEY",T1."TERM_CODE_KEY",T1."ENROLLED_IND",
T1."REGISTERED_IND",T1."LEVL_CODE",T1."ADVISOR_LAST_NAME1",
T1."ADVISOR_FIRST_NAME1" FROM "AS_STUDENT_DATA" T1 WHERE
(T1."REGISTERED_IND" = 'Y') AND (T1."ENROLLED_IND" = 'Y') AND
(T1."TERM_CODE_KEY" = '200530') AND
((SUBSTR(T1."ADVISOR_LAST_NAME1", 1, 1)) IN('E', 'F', 'G',
'H')) ORDER BY T1."PIDM_KEY";
...RETRIEVAL KILLED
0 NUMBER OF RECORDS IN TABLE= 0 LINES= 0

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Are you grouping on a defined field? That could be one cause.

In situations like these I normally resort to using instream SQL so that I control the retrieval path within the SQL source. You can achieve all sorts of additional code before the recordset is passed to WebFOCUS, including changing from numeric to alpha using CAST. The other upside is that you can often write more effiecient SQL than WebFOCUS can generate. Let SQL do the hard work for you.

Back to your problem though - Compare the SQL output to your WebFOCUS query and see what is not covered and then progress from there.

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The following really aren't errors per se:
(FOC2594) AGGREGATION IS NOT APPLICABLE TO THE VERB USED

In this case it's telling you that aggregation didn't occur and the reason is because you are using a detail verb (like PRINT) and not an aggregation verb (like SUM).

It looks like the selection criteria and sort are being passed. Typically my next step would be to look at the following:
1. How many rows is this detail request trying to return? Try writing a request that just counts the records using the same selection criteria -- this could tell you if you are trying to push a lot of records back across the network.

2. Are the fields used in the sort and selection criteria indexed? If not this can cause a performance hit.

Posts: 118 | Location: DC | Registered: May 13, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi baumli,

Has this issue regarding "page cannot be displayed" been resolved?

The following are detailed descriptions of the errors you referenced:

(FOC2590) AGGREGATION NOT DONE FOR THE FOLLOWING REASON: %1%2%3%4
This is the first line of the Interface FSTRACE3 output that is generated when RDBMS aggregation has been disabled. This message indicates that FOCUS will handle all aggregation processing for this query. A FOCUS message indicating the reason for this decision will accompany this message.

(FOC2594) AGGREGATION IS NOT APPLICABLE TO THE VERB USED %1%2%3%4
Aggregation was not performed because a verb such as PRINT or LIST was the only one used in the request, and aggregation is not applicable to these verbs.

Depending on the database you are using, the following topics from Information Builders' online documentation may be of interest:

ORACLE:How to pass WHERE YYMD DATE fld against literal value http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/sps/10192073.html

READLIMIT does not generate FETCH FIRST
http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/sps/10142001.html

JOINing 2 Oracle tables results in an non-OPTIMIZED request http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/sps/12082033.html

Oracle DATE field with century causing problems with WHERE http://techsupport.informationbuilders.com/sps/91311130.html

Another option is to contact Information Builders' Technical Support Help Desk for assistance. You can either call at 1-800-736-6130, or use the online system InfoResponse at http://techsupport.ibi.com . Please be ready to provide detailed info, i.e. site code, release, operating system, database, etc.

Hope this helps. Big Grin

Cheers,

Kerry

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post