Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Avoding Quirks Mode

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Avoding Quirks Mode
 Login/Join

posted
Having trouble with our html file because WebFOCUS requires syntax < !-- Generated by Report Layout Painter --> to be the first line in the html, but without having < !DOCTYPE HTML> as the first line, IE switches to quirks mode. In quirks mode we lose the IE9/HTML5 features. Have anyone seen this problem or solve this problem? Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

8002M
Window/excel/pdf/html/ahtml

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This looks rather silly but may help.

How about creating a wrap .fex you can use to create the DOCTYPE you require before invoking your HTML Composer-created page?

Say you have an HTML page called mypage.htm .

You could create a procedure called loadmypage.fex with a content such as this:

-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<!DOCTYPE HTML>
-HTMLFORM END

-HTMLFORM mypage.htm

Now, if your HTML is *not* in a Managed Reporting domain but hosted in the Reporting Server you could actually create a generic wrap procedure that you'd use to load just about any HTML file via a parameter:

-DEFAULT &P_PAGE = 'mypage.htm'

-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<!DOCTYPE HTML
-HTMLFORM END

-* Load htm file
-HTMLFORM &P_PAGE

Hope this helps.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

posted Hide Post
thank you njsden, I will give it a try.

8002M

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I think I solved this last night. I am working on a similar issue where I needed to remove the comment, and replace the DOCTYPE reference with:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
to open up style options.
I wrote a filter to intercept the HTML write commands from Dev Studio for both MRE and self service requests. Seems to be working fine at this time with minimal testing. Just work as normal, and click Save. The process does the rest. I will share if you want to be a tester for this.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't mind being a guinea pig on this one ... it's all for a good cause Wink

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
email?

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
dhagen,
do you mind sharing your filter and instruction on how you acheive this? This would be so great for us so we can style our html pages. My email is gyang@plex.com. Thanks!

8002M

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
On its way. Let me know if you have problems.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
njsden@yahoo.com

Thanks.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm creating AHTML reports and though it's not coming through with the comment you noted, and even with a DOCTYPE declaration of
 <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">

something is still triggering quirks mode in IE, which as you noted greatly affects styling possibilites. The report works fine in Firefox (which unfortunately most of our users don't use).

Any suggestions on what I can do?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J.Hines,

Prod: 8.2.0.4 OS:Windows 10 Output:AHTML, Excel 2007+

The life of a designer is a life of fight against the ugliness.

Posts: 141 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 10, 2012Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
J, how do you apply this doctype? The only way I think of is to add an -HTMLFORM BEGIN and -HTMLFORM END with the doctype within (which is where I also have the css styling you so generously shared in your other recent post). The problem with this is that there are two HTML tags in the same file, one for the report and one in the HTMLFORM, which might be a problem...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Oh, I was just saying that's the default DOCTYPE created, unfortunately I have no control over it. I thought about the HTMLFORM idea, but I don't think that would work for me since I'm not calling an HTML report, but an AHTML procedure. And you're probably right, two DOCTYPE declarations wouldn't be a good thing.

dhagen, do you still have your solution lying around?

Prod: 8.2.0.4 OS:Windows 10 Output:AHTML, Excel 2007+

The life of a designer is a life of fight against the ugliness.

Posts: 141 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 10, 2012Report This Post