Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Change oracle table accesses

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Change oracle table accesses
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all, i have created a table on the db through webfocus with this commands:

ENGINE SQLORA SET CONNECTION_ATTRIBUTES  dbName1/user1,pwd1

TABLE FILE WF_COMMERCIAL
WRITE COL1 COL2 COL....
ON TABLE HOLD AS COMMERCIAL FORMAT SQLORA
END 

and these commands works perfectly

there are some accounts that can login on dbName1:
user1 has Read Write permission
user2 has Read permission

When other users, that use MS Access, try to link the COMMERCIAL table with user2 they can't find this table on the table list.
On the other hand if they login with user1, the table is there on the table list, but they can modify the data of all the tables in dbName1...

i have tried to drop the table and recreate with user2 login
 ENGINE SQLORA SET CONNECTION_ATTRIBUTES  dbName1/user2,pwd2

and the table was created perfectly, the users can link the COMMERCIAL table with user2... but they can still modify this table with user2 account!!! a read only account!!!
How can this be possible???
How can I create the table with user1 account, and give to user2 the read only access to this table?

Thank you for the help.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS Version 8.2.0.1
Windows Server 2012

WebFOCUS Version 5.3.3
Windows 2000
Oracle 8i

Expert
posted Hide Post
"How can I create the table with user1 account, and give to user2 the read only access to this table" - this sounds like an Oracle issue, not a WebFOCUS issue.

"When other users, that use MS Access, try to link the COMMERCIAL table with user2 they can't find this table on the table list." - this sounds like a MS Access issue.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
but they can still modify this table with user2 account!!! a read only account!!!

There are no "read only" accounts in Oracle.

A user account is a user account. That account can query and/or modify any table based on specific privileges that must be granted to that account on the table/view or any other object you want.

Although the idea of creating dynamic DB objects from WebFOCUS looks rather interesting, it is something that is best left to the database.

I'd recommend that you use your database tools to create the table you need and GRANT the privileges you want to each specific user or better yet, a role. Assuming you're using SQL*Plus:

connect user1/pdw1@dbName1

create table wf_commercial (
  <list of columns here>
);

grant select on wf_commercial to user2;

As the table was created by user1, that account can both select and modify contents of the table. However, user2 needs a specific privilege to be able to at least READ from the table, therefore the GRANT statement you are using there.

Please do that and I'm almost sure that user2 will not only be able to query the table but also MS Access should be able to "see" it now.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

posted Hide Post
quote:
grant select on wf_commercial to user2;

thank you! this is the way
usually technician manage the oracle db create drop grant etc. tables... but now in this time technician are halved and I only use webfocus Smiler

so...

i've logged in SQL*PLUS and executed these 2 commands:
SQL> GRANT SELECT ON USER1.COMMERCIAL TO USER2;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> REVOKE INSERT ON USER1.COMMERCIAL FROM USER2;
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01927: cannot REVOKE privileges you did not grant

SQL> REVOKE UPDATE ON USER1.COMMERCIAL FROM USER2;
ERROR at line 1:

SQL> REVOKE DELETE ON USER1.COMMERCIAL FROM USER2;
ERROR at line 1:

and user2 can link USER1.COMMERCIAL!!!
but user2 still can modify the table...

it's a good step but it's risky to let user2 modify the table

I've tried to grant SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE to user2 with Grant succeeded
and tried to revoke INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE to user2 with Revoke succeeded.
but user2 still can modify the table from access...

EDIT:
i've executed this:
SQL> GRANT SELECT ON USER1.COMMERCIAL TO USER3;

Grant succeeded.

and USER3 can only do a SELECT on the table...
what's wrong with USER2???

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ExoR,

WebFOCUS Version 8.2.0.1
Windows Server 2012

WebFOCUS Version 5.3.3
Windows 2000
Oracle 8i

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
First things first:

1. Whom does the table belong to? user1 or user2?
2. Which user are you using to connect to Oracle from SQL*Plus? you should connect as the user who OWNS the table.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2

posted Hide Post
i've created the table with user1
the table name is user1.commercial
and in SQL*PLUS i login with user1 account

WebFOCUS Version 8.2.0.1
Windows Server 2012

WebFOCUS Version 5.3.3
Windows 2000
Oracle 8i

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Which roles and system privileges does USER2 have in Oracle?

It may be possible that USER2 has a "UPDATE ANY TABLE" privilege which would allow it to modify data in any table even if no specific privilege on the latter has been granted.

Please check that and let us know.

posted Hide Post
thank you!!! i've found that to user2 was granted the UPDATE ANY TABLE privilege.
So i'll give to users the user3 account

thank you njsden!!!!

WebFOCUS Version 8.2.0.1
Windows Server 2012

WebFOCUS Version 5.3.3
Windows 2000
Oracle 8i

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You're very welcome Smiler

Glad it helped!

- Neftali.