Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     $ in a CSV data column causes problems

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
$ in a CSV data column causes problems
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
I have a CSV file generated from an Excel spreadsheet that has the $ symbol in several data columns.

When I read the file with WebFOCUS, I get the following error:

(FOC229) ERROR READING EXTERNAL DATA FILE: NEWFUND
Symbol '$' outside of text field is illegal : line 1

If I enclose the data columns in double-quotes, the file can be read without errors.

I can't get Excel to save the CSV file with double-quotes.

Any ideas?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
how about reading the file as a single record, really long record; and in the master ,ctran the $ out to a blank before you begin,
or STRIP out the $
TABLE FILE it out to a text file,
and write a master as a DFIX file, with FIELDNAME=DELIMITER ,ALIAS=',' ,USAGE=A1 ,ACTUAL=A1 ,$

This message has been edited. Last edited by: susannah,

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Francis,

You can force Excel to enclose these fields within double quotes by adding a comma at the end of the value within the cell. My guess is that this is going to cause you more problems though?

Apart from suggesting using a macro in your normal.dot for Excel so that you can call it to bound each cell in double quotes and save as a .csv file, the only other questions that springs to mind are -

Do you have to use csv format?
Would XML be a possibility?

Good luck

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
We receive an Excel spreadsheet that must be read by Data Migrator to load the data into a SQL Server table.

We're converting the Excel spreadsheet to CSV. The $ sign in the text must stay.

I haven't played with XML files - does Excel export the data AND the markup? How easy is it to create a Master?

Cheers.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I've added the XML adapter via the WebFOCUS server console.

I've saved the spreadsheet as an XML file. No DTD was created.

I am attempting to create a synonym for the xml file. The server console is hanging - either because the DTD does not exist or I have to do more than simply add the XML adapter. The documentation on this is quite unclear.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
F, did you try reading the csv via a master that was SUFFIX=DFIX rather than SUFFIX=COM
and put in the field DELIMITER=',' at the end of the master?
that avoids having to SET PCOMMA=ON which does who-knows-what under the covers. old csv files had a $ as the end-of-record indicator, which might be why you're having the problem, but if you read it as a DFIX , you might avoid all that, reading the file as if it were, say, pipe-delimited, just you're using a comma instead of a pipe.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Perfecto!!!

Susannah, that worked fantastically.

In our case, there would never be a comma in the data, so the comma works as delimiter.

Thanks a bunch.

Francis.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
F or T, is the xml adapter an extra cost item? do you happen to know?

<JG>
posted
Easy fix found is always nice.

However I found this macro a while ago that could help.

It does not make any distiction between numerics and text but wraps everything in double quotes
so you need your master the have an actual of Axx and a usage of what you need.

This macro surrounds each field with quotation marks, doubling any quotation marks found in the cell text:

Public Sub OutputQuotedCSV()
Const QSTR As String = """"
Dim myRecord As Range
Dim myField As Range
Dim nFileNum As Long
Dim sOut As String

nFileNum = FreeFile
Open "File1.txt" For Output As #nFileNum
For Each myRecord In Range("A1:A" & _
Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
With myRecord
For Each myField In Range(.Cells(1), _
Cells(.Row, 256).End(xlToLeft))
sOut = sOut & "," &QSTR & _
Replace(myField.Text, QSTR, QSTR & QSTR) & QSTR
Next myField
Print #nFileNum, Mid(sOut, 2)
sOut = Empty
End With
Next myRecord
Close #nFileNum
End Sub

The source was http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html#csvwithquotes

They have a couple of other examples where you can write an output file using an alternate
delimiter or generate a fixed length file.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
JG, thanks for the info. I'll keep it for reference.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
If I were a betting man (and I'm not) I would have won a substantial amount on the chances of JG having a macro up his sleeve!!

Another one for the archive ... Thanks JG

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post