Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Conditional SUM Techniques, etc.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Conditional SUM Techniques, etc.
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
hello again,

i have a somewhat complicated report that i'm having some trouble figuring out just what i need to do.

everyone loves the car analogy, so let's say i have a data source that looks like this:

MANUFACTURER.|.MODEL.|.TYPE.|.WEIGHT
-------------+-------+------+-------
Chrysler.....|.300...|.4DR..|.3500..
Chrysler.....|.300C..|.4DR..|.3800..
Chrysler.....|.XFIRE.|.2DR..|.2400..
Cadillac.....|.ETC...|.2DR..|.3500..
Cadillac.....|.STS...|.4DR..|.3500..
Lincoln......|.MARKV.|.2DR..|.4500..

and i need to build a report that looks like this:

MANUFACTURER.|..#.OF.MODELS..|..TOTAL.WEIGHT..|..TYPES..|..HEAVIEST.2D..|..TOTAL.4D.WEIGHT.
-------------+---------------+----------------+---------+---------------+------------------
Cadillac.....|.............2.|...........7000.|.4DR,2DR.|..........3500.|.............3500.
Chrysler.....|.............3.|...........9700.|.4DR,2DR.|..........2400.|.............7300.
Lincoln......|.............1.|...........9700.|.....2DR.|..........4500.|..............N/A.  

the first three columns i've got working, i simply did the following:

TABLE FILE My_Cars
SUM
     CNT.MODEL
     WEIGHT
     BY MANUFACTURER

the hard part is, how can i get the "types" column to list all the distinct values in that column that correspond to that manufacturer? in addition, how can i find the "heaviest 2D vehicle", and the total weight for 4D cars?

a) is there any way to do this, and b) is there any way to do this with only one query -- not making and reading a bunch of hold files? the data source i'm accessing is huge and has a lot of security and overhead on it and it is very slow to get even a single result back. the fewer trips i have to make to the data source the better.

thanks very much!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GreenspanDan,

---------------------
WebFOCUS 7.6

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I am sure - hopeful really - that someone else will show you a better way, but in case no one does:

DEFINE FILE CAR
  DOORS/A3 = IF MODEL CONTAINS '4 DOOR' THEN '4DR' ELSE '2DR';
END
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
   CNT.WEIGHT NOPRINT
BY CAR
PRINT
   COMPUTE C_NOM/I5     = IF CAR EQ LAST CAR THEN LAST C_NOM + 1 ELSE 1; AS '# OF MODELS'
   COMPUTE C_WEIGHT/I11 = IF (CAR EQ LAST CAR) THEN LAST C_WEIGHT + WEIGHT ELSE WEIGHT; AS 'TOTAL WEIGHT'
   COMPUTE C_TYPE/A50   = IF (CAR EQ LAST CAR) AND (LAST C_TYPE NOT CONTAINS DOORS) THEN SUBSTR(50, LAST C_TYPE || ',' || DOORS, 1, 50, 50, 'A50') ELSE 
                          IF (CAR EQ LAST CAR) THEN LAST C_TYPE ELSE DOORS; AS 'TYPES'
   COMPUTE C_2DR /I11   = IF (CAR EQ LAST CAR) AND (DOORS EQ '2DR') AND (WEIGHT GT LAST C_2DR) THEN WEIGHT ELSE 
	                  IF (CAR EQ LAST CAR) THEN LAST C_2DR ELSE 
	                  IF DOORS EQ '2DR' THEN WEIGHT ELSE 0; AS 'HEAVIEST 2D'
   COMPUTE C_4DR /I11   = IF (CAR EQ LAST CAR) AND (DOORS EQ '4DR') AND (WEIGHT GT LAST C_4DR) THEN WEIGHT ELSE 
	                  IF (CAR EQ LAST CAR) THEN LAST C_4DR ELSE 
			  IF DOORS EQ '4DR' THEN WEIGHT ELSE 0; AS 'HEAVIEST 4D'
BY CAR
BY DOORS NOPRINT
WHERE TOTAL CNT.WEIGHT EQ C_NOM;
END

Results:
  CAR            # OF MODELS  TOTAL WEIGHT  TYPES      HEAVIEST 2D  HEAVIEST 4D
  ---            -----------  ------------  -----      -----------  -----------
  ALFA ROMEO               3          7215  2DR,4DR           2320         2590  
  AUDI                     1          2571  2DR               2571            0  
  BMW                      6         11300  2DR,4DR           2400         3250  
  DATSUN                   1          2050  2DR               2050            0  
  JAGUAR                   2          7635  2DR               4200            0  
  JENSEN                   1          4000  2DR               4000            0  
  MASERATI                 1          3700  2DR               3700            0  
  PEUGEOT                  1          2860  4DR                  0         2860  
  TOYOTA                   1          2219  4DR                  0         2219  
  TRIUMPH                  1          2241  2DR               2241            0   

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dhagen,

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
this is working great, thanks!

---------------------
WebFOCUS 7.6