Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] SAVE File using filedef

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] SAVE File using filedef
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
I have an error running a focexec in ReportCaster MRE . The error states that the save file does not exist or can not be found. There is a filedef statement before the on table save as saveit. As we know on save file webfocus does not create a master. Does a master file description need to be create before this code is run. We have another focexec which is similar and it runs fine. There is no master file description as well. I'm using webfocus 7.6.4 under unix.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

EDA764 Release * Current Software:
Unix

Expert
posted Hide Post
Can you post your code between the code tags please?

Are you trying to TABLE the SAVE file or merely read it with a -READ?

Was the file saved previously to the execution of the fex in question?

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry about this. The problem is in Reportcaster. I'm attempting to schedule this report to run in Reportcaster, passing 3 parameters just like the one that is already in production and running fine. The error about saveit not found is due to if the client we select in one of the parameter has no data for it, that error will come up. But once I know that the client has data and should run correctly the saveit message will appear. It looks like the passing of the parameters is the problem.

Unix

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If the client you select has no data then it cannot create a save file and you will get that error. (it won't create an empty file.) Maybe you need to check the &LINES or &RECORDS system variable to see if any data exists before producing the save file.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Once I'm in ReportCaster ,open the task, click on the advance tab to select the procedure I want, then attempt to run it I receive the error Pocedure cannot be found. I'm attempting to schedule this procedure to run.

Unix

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Webfocus Reporting Server procedure cannot be found. This is the error message I received.

Unix

Expert
posted Hide Post
I am getting very confused. You said this focexec was in MRE in your first post. You'll have to select 'Standard Report' or 'My Report' to get your focexec not reporting server procedure. Please clarify.

And please, before you post anymore, update your profile signature with your products, releases, and platforms.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
These focexecs is a new reports and my attempt to move these tasks into reportcaster the error appears.

Unix

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
These focexecs are new reports and my attempt to move these tasks into reportcaster is where the error appears.

Unix

Expert
posted Hide Post
Are they in MRE or Data Servers?

Ginny

Expert
posted Hide Post
I think you've got ECHO on Wink lol

Ginny, seems you've picked a real corker to answer this time!! lol

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm trying! Roll Eyes

quote:
click on the advance tab to select the procedure I want

OK, let's try again. You only click the Advanced tab if you want to set up parameters or pre- and/or post-processing procedures.

To select the program to run that actually does the report preparation for distribution, you click on the little folder with green arrow icon next to the input box which is next to 'Procedure Name:' which is right above the Advanced button.

Based on that description, please tell me what parts of that you are or are not doing so I can figure out what is going on. I haven't even gotten to the pathing part yet.

And can you paste the entire log message you are getting when you run this schedule? To do that, right-click on the schedule, select log, and run the last executed. It might shed some light on what is going on.

Ginny

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I login to ReportCaster. Use Edit Schedule in reportcaster then New Task. In procedure Name I click on th icon on the right and select the report. I then click the advanced icon and then I recieved the error.

Unix

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Ginny what you are saying is correct. Once I click the advanced icon the error come up so I'm not able to enter the parameters .

Unix

Expert
posted Hide Post
Since I can't see what you are doing, I recommend that you open a case with IBI. They will be able to log onto your machine and watch what you do that precipitates the error. Some of the problem may be environmental and it is impossible for me to figure that out from here.

I'm sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Ginny

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
The code in the fex is similar to the example below. The only differents is the -Filedef statement does not have the path or .fex after Saveit. It also has a -Include statement for Saveit. I have one fex in production that work but the other 2 that I'm attempting to add does not in development or production.

Symptom/Problem/Solution
TECHNIQUE
How to create a graph sorted by largest amount
Case: 12672001 Product: Developer Studio Release: 5.3.4 8 Primary OS: Windows Date: 05/09/28
Case information refers to the Product, Release, and OS for which this question was asked. The solution may apply to other Products, Releases, and Operating Systems.
Problem:
The bars in the graph need to be sorted in order of the largest amount and
not alphabetically. In addition, the bars for the 5 highest values are to be
displayed, and all other values are to be summed into a category of 'OTHER'.
Solution:
The method will require several HOLD files. Ensure that you rename the
location in the FILEDEF and the APP HOLD commands.

FILEDEF SAVEIT DISK C:\IBI\APPS\12672001\SAVEIT.FEX
APP HOLD 12672001
TABLE FILE GGSALES
SUM UNITS NOPRINT
BY HIGHEST TOTAL UNITS
BY PRODUCT
ON TABLE HOLD AS SALES1
END
-RUN
TABLE FILE SALES1
LIST UNITS PRODUCT
ON TABLE HOLD AS SALES2
END
SET HOLDLIST = PRINTONLY
-RUN
DEFINE FILE SALES2
THECNT/A25=IF E01 LE 5 THEN PRODUCT ELSE 'Other';
NEWPRD/A30 = ''''||THECNT||'''' ;
END
TABLE FILE SALES2
SUM
E01 AS 'TLIST' UNITS PRODUCT
BY NEWPRD
ON TABLE HOLD AS SALES3
END
TABLE FILE SALES3
SUM
NEWPRD NOPRINT
COMPUTE VALS/A35 = IF LAST NEWPRD EQ ' ' THEN
NEWPRD ELSE 'AND ' | NEWPRD;
BY E00 NOPRINT
ON TABLE SAVE AS SAVEIT
END
GRAPH FILE SALES3
SUM UNITS
ACROSS PRODUCT COLUMNS
-INCLUDE SAVEIT
END
Product: Developer Studio, DEVSTUDIO
Symptom: None Assigned
Functional Area: None Assigned
Operating System: Windows, WIN/2K
Keywords: 12672001, HIGHEST, GROUP, GRAPH, ACROSS
Docid: 12672001

Unix

<JG>
posted
quote:
-Include

The problem is that ReportRaster can not resolve the code for the -INCLUDE becasue it does not exist.

So you get the error when pressing the advanced tab because it must parse the code to see
if it must prompt you for any variables.

Try commenting out the -INCLUDE, schedule it and then uncomment the -INCLUDE.

Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a filedef statement before the on table save as saveit

If this is true, it will put a FILEDEF in the middle of your graph process.

quote:

TABLE FILE SALES3
SUM
NEWPRD NOPRINT
COMPUTE VALS/A35 = IF LAST NEWPRD EQ ' ' THEN
NEWPRD ELSE 'AND ' | NEWPRD;
BY E00 NOPRINT
ON TABLE SAVE AS SAVEIT
END
GRAPH FILE SALES3
SUM UNITS
ACROSS PRODUCT COLUMNS
-INCLUDE SAVEIT
END

If you are wanting your products to be the products in SAVEIT, try IF NEWPRD EQ (SAVEIT). You might need to check that syntax.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I just want to thank you guys for all your help. I create a fex call saveit, It was blank but the reports now worked in development. Move the fex to production. Now the user is adding the new task to production.

Unix

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
TABLE FILE SALES3
SUM
. . .
ON TABLE SAVE AS SAVEIT
END
GRAPH FILE SALES3
SUM UNITS
ACROSS PRODUCT COLUMNS
-INCLUDE SAVEIT
END

In order to generate SAVEIT dynamically and then include it as code in a subsequent request, there must be a
-RUN
in between, to let the Table request run and populate the SAVEIT file with the "columns" data.

Without the -RUN, WF scans the Table and Graph requests as a unit before allowing either one to execute, and tries to expand the
-INCLUDE SAVEIT
statement before the file exists. Depending on platform, WF will get either a file-not-found condition or an immediate end-of-file as it tries to read from SAVEIT -- so WF will issue either a 'file not found' error, or a syntax error for the truncated COLUMNS phrase.

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post