Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Uploading File to Access It as another Table

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Uploading File to Access It as another Table
 Login/Join

posted
I have a file with 3 columns of data in MS Excel. I would like to upload this to the server to use it as I would any other table. I know we have to create a master file to accompany the file, but my confusion comes in as to knowing what type of file this should be uploaded as - .csv, .txt, .ftm? Can anyone shed any light on this matter or point me in the direction as to where I can find information on how to do this?

Thanks,

Will

Posts: 18 | Location: Saint Louis | Registered: April 01, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
SLU Will,

I did this quite awhile ago so I do not remember all the details. However, I do remember that I was able to upload the XLS file to our Windows 2K server which has WebFOCUS running on it. Then I THINK I had to define the XLS file as an ODBC data source to Windows. The other thing I had to do was to define a RANGE in the XLS file for all the rows and columns. Sorry for the vagueness of mt information. It has been awhile since I did this but I do know you can use the XLS directly as the data source.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
SLUWILL
as mickey says, create a range in your excelfile, the top row of the range needs to be column names,make them simple.
then
start
control panel
admin tools
datasources odbc
system dsn
and create one, using the excel driver, and pointing to your file.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Will.

If you don't want to mess with the ODBC definition, you can simply save your Excel file as a .csv file on the WebFOCUS server. Then create a master file with the fieldnames and definitions as usual, but add the SUFFIX=COM statement to the filename line like this
FILENAME = MYFILE, SUFFIX = COM, $
so WebFOCUS knows it's a comma-delimited file. You can find more info and the documention in the "Describing Data" manuals.

The drawback to comma-delimited files is that you can only report from them. You can't join them to other tables, etc. We get around this by reading the comma-delimited file in a WebFOCUS query and holding the result as a FOCUS file (ON TABLE HOLD FORMAT FOCUS . . .).

If I remember correctly (I tried the ODBC connection once), you have to set up a new ODBC connection for every Excel file that you want to access. We want to access A LOT of Excel files, so the .csv and convert it to a FOCUS file, if needed, works for us.

WebFOCUS 7.6.11 on Win2003 Server
WebFOCUS 7.7.03 on Win2003 Server
Published, AdHoc, ReportCaster
Output in all variants of Excel

Posts: 29 | Location: Ravenna, OH | Registered: December 10, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input everyone. I went back and forth with debbiej and we managed to solve the problem. I had our tech person upload the CSV file to the server and then I created the master file for it. At this point, I had to make sure I was pointing to the correct directory and then hold it as FORMAT FOCUS as debbiej states. After that, I had to change my APP PATH back to where all the other .mas files were housed. Below is an example of one I did:

APP PATH ALUMNI1
FILEDEF FINANCEFUNDS DISK /opt/ibi/apps/alumni1/financefunds.csv
-RUN
TABLE FILE FINANCEFUNDS
PRINT
FINANCE_NO
BOOK_VALUE
MARKET_VALUE
ON TABLE HOLD AS ENDOW1 FORMAT FOCUS
END
-RUN
APP PATH MFDS

Then the rest of my report followed afterwards.

One comment, this line is case sensitive:
FILEDEF FINANCEFUNDS DISK /opt/ibi/apps/alumni1/financefunds.csv

Thanks again and I hope this helps those who are in a similar situation as I was. If you need help, let me know and I'll do the best I can to help.

Thanks,

Will

Posts: 18 | Location: Saint Louis | Registered: April 01, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Will,

Don't forget that you can always prepend and append to the APP PATH to negate the requirement of constantly changing paths -

APP SHOWPATH
APP PREPENDPATH ibinccen
APP SHOWPATH

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Will,

You can also keep data files(.csv) and master file description(.mas) files in a seperate directory and then copy them into the current webfocus session temp directory as needed for reporting.

Master file description(forum826.mas)
FILE=FORUM826 ,SUFFIX=COM
SEGNAME=FORUM826,SEGTYPE=S00
FIELDNAME =COUNTRY ,E01 ,A10 ,A10 ,$
FIELDNAME =CAR ,E02 ,A16 ,A16 ,$
FIELDNAME =MODEL ,E03 ,A24 ,A24 ,$

Data file(forum826.csv)
"ENGLAND","JAGUAR","V12XKE AUTO"
"ENGLAND","JAGUAR","XJ12L AUTO"
"ENGLAND","JENSEN","INTERCEPTOR III"
"ENGLAND","TRIUMPH","TR7"
"FRANCE","PEUGEOT","504 4 DOOR"
"ITALY","ALFA ROMEO","2000 4 DOOR BERLINA"
"ITALY","ALFA ROMEO","2000 GT VELOCE"
"ITALY","ALFA ROMEO","2000 SPIDER VELOCE"
"ITALY","MASERATI","DORA 2 DOOR"
"JAPAN","DATSUN","B210 2 DOOR AUTO"
"JAPAN","TOYOTA","COROLLA 4 DOOR DIX AUTO"
"W GERMANY","AUDI","100 LS 2 DOOR AUTO"
"W GERMANY","BMW","2002 2 DOOR"
"W GERMANY","BMW","2002 2 DOOR AUTO"
"W GERMANY","BMW","3.0 SI 4 DOOR"
"W GERMANY","BMW","3.0 SI 4 DOOR AUTO"
"W GERMANY","BMW","530I 4 DOOR"
"W GERMANY","BMW","530I 4 DOOR AUTO"

Here's the focexec to run a report from the above .csv and .mas files

-* COPY THE DATA FILE(.CSV) AND MASTER FILE DESCRIPTION(.MAS)
-* FROM "YOUR_DIRECTORY" INTO THE "TEMP" DIRECTORY WEBFOCUS CREATES
-* DURING YOUR CURRENT SESSION
CMD COPY \\YOUR_DIRECTORY\FORUM826.CSV
CMD COPY \\YOUR_DIRECTORY\FORUM826.MAS
-* THE FILEDEF ASSOCIATES THE .CSV FILE WITH THE .MAS FILE
FILEDEF FORUM826 DISK FORUM826.CSV
-RUN
SET PCOMMA=ON
TABLE FILE FORUM826
PRINT COUNTRY CAR MODEL
END

I don't know if you have any use for this method, but it seems to work for me.

Jim

WF DevStu 5.2.6/WF Srv 5.2.4/Win NT 5.2

Posts: 118 | Location: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: May 04, 2005Report This Post