Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Referencing Columns Created via Across - column not created

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Referencing Columns Created via Across - column not created
 Login/Join

posted
I'm using decode to aggregate some but not all codes in an initial query. Then, in the initial query I'm summing amounts across the decode field and saving the output to a hold file. Then I'm performing calculations on the columns in the hold file. A "where" clause is used to filter the records selected and sometimes a non-aggregated code does not exist in the original file for the "where" clause conditions. Consequently, the corresponding column does not exist in the hold file and the report blows up because the report is referring to a non-existant column.

When I'm tabling the hold file, how can I get around the error of a field not found.

****** SAMPLE CODE *****

DEFINE FILE TBRACCD
DTL_CODE/A4=DECODE TBRACCD_DETAIL_CODE (
TF01 TF01
TF10 TF10
TF26 TF26
TF30 TF30
AEP INST
AEPM INST
ALIK INST
WHIT INST
STFD LOAN
STFU LOAN
PELL PELL
PERK PERK
SEOG SEOG ELSE OTHR);
END
TABLE FILE TBRACCD
SUM TBRACCD_AMOUNT
BY LAST_NAME
BY BANNER_ID
ACROSS DTL_CODE AS 'Detail Code'
WHERE STVTERM_CODE EQ '&TERM_CODE_YYYYMM'
AND DTL_CODE NE 'OTHR';
ON TABLE HOLD AS CASHBYCODE FORMAT FOCUS
END
DEFINE FILE CASHBYCODE
AID_SMRY /P14.2 = TBRINST + TBRLOAN + TBRPELL + TBRPERK + TBRSEOG;
TOTAL_CHARGES /P14.2 = TBRTF01 + TBRTF10 + TBRTF26 + TBRTF30 ;
DATE/A10 = TODAY(DATE);
END

-****** END SAMPLE CODE ******

The decode is working fine. The report runs properly for fall semesters where there are cases of TBRACCD_DETAIL_CODE = TF26. But in winter semesters there are no cases where TBRACCD_DETAIL_CODE is TF26.

Consequently, the TOTAL_CHARGES calculation against the hold file blows up because the column TBRTF26 is never created.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Posts: 10 | Location: Great Barrington, MA | Registered: October 23, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Use ACROSS ... COLUMNS ...
as in:
DEFINE FILE CAR
  SSS/A8=DECODE SEATS(1 ONE 2 TWO 3 THREE 4 FOUR ELSE OTHR);
END
TABLE FILE CAR
 SUM SALES
 BY COUNTRY
 ACROSS SSS
  COLUMNS ONE AND TWO AND THREE AND FOUR
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
ON TABLE HOLD
END
?FF HOLD

FILENAME=  HOLD
 COUNTRY       E01           A10
 SALONE        E02           I6
 SALTWO        E03           I6
 SALTHREE      E04           I6
 SALFOUR       E05           I6

This message has been edited. Last edited by: j.gross,

- Jack Gross
WF through 8.1.05

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Resolved. Thanks go to Jack Gross for his response.

Posts: 10 | Location: Great Barrington, MA | Registered: October 23, 2006Report This Post