Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Calling Oracle Function within a Package

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Calling Oracle Function within a Package
 Login/Join

Master
posted
All of the documentation in WF for calling stored procedure/package members seems to be orientated around calling procedures which don't return a value compared to functions which do.

There seems to be 2 methods within wf to call procs.

1. Calling them using the engine.

Should work on all versions of Oracle but won't produce any output since the equivalent to enabling server message buffer can only be done in SQL Plus.

ENGINE SQLORA
EX SYS.DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE('HELLO');
END

2. Creating a synonym with fields corresponding to parameters. The result set can be queried by having the OUT parameters returned in SQLOUT and the IN parameters can be set via the wf WHERE clause.

Neither one of these seems to be suitable method for calling a function and retrieving values such as the call to ifsapp.Party_Type_API.Decode.

Here's how I got it to work in SQL plus (though I think you need to enable the dbms buffer to see the results)

-- this works in SQL plus. not in wf so far
variable   party_to_use_           VARCHAR2(100)
BEGIN
    :party_to_use_        := ifsapp.Party_Type_API.Decode( 'CUSTOMER' );
     DBMS_OUTPUT.PUT_LINE(:party_to_use_);
END;

The question is:

Is there a method in wf to execute a function and return a value to a wf variable?

Best regards

John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
not sure about this...but could you set the variable equal to the result set from your function?

such as
variable x
x = call myschema.myfunc(myparm);

worth a shot?

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Master
posted Hide Post
the topic of your post is "calling function within a package" an Oracle package is a grouping of UDF's and SP's that is compiled as a single program unit, so you can call the package if you want the whole enchilada, or just single functions within the package (even though it's compiled)

That's an oracle thing, way outside webfocus. Judging by why was actually posted, I'm not seeing how the topic matches the post at all, but google your topic if you need that answer.

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
hammo1j's question is perfectly straightforward, if you don't know the answer why don't you not put anything on here.
If you don't understand the question why don't you ask.

WF 8201, Windows Server 2012 R2, SQL Server 2014, HTML, PDF, Excel, Powerpoint, Active Report

Posts: 34 | Location: All over Europe | Registered: October 23, 2009Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
hammoj, WebFOCUS only supports executing "procedures" (not functions) via Stored Procedures.

It sort of makes sense if one considers that the whole purpose of accessing a data source (via stored procedure or directly) is to be able to fetch records from a result set, and not discrete values. Therefore, if a result set is expected, it seems "easier" t implement a procedure reserving one of its parameters as an output cursor (result set) as not all database vendors would support returning CURSORs from a function.

That being said, if all you need is to return a discrete value such as ifsapp.Party_Type_API.Decode( 'CUSTOMER' ) in your sample code, you can just wrap it in a cursor and assign it to the output parameter of a packaged procedure which will be the one invoked from WebFOCUS.

This is what the package may look like (I did not test this, so bear with me on syntax errors):
create or replace package mypackage as
   type t_mydata is record (
      party_to_use_   varchar2(100);
   );

type t_refcursor is ref cursor return t_mydata;
end mypackage;
/

create or replace package body mypackage as
   procedure get_party_type (c_out in out t_refcursor) as
   begin
      open c_out for
      select ifsapp.Party_Type_API.Decode( 'CUSTOMER' ) from dual;
   end get_party_type;
end mypackage;

Basically, I am defining a procedure called get_party_type with a ref cursor output parameter as required by WebFOCUS. I am then calling your function API and assigning its return value to the cursor.

Now, from WebFOCUS you should be able to do:

SQL SQLORA
EX mypackage.get_party_type
TABLE FILE SQLOUT
END

You would get a nice "report" with one row and a single column containing the party type "returned" from your procedure.

If you need to use that as an actual variable in your WF code for other purposes, then just HOLD the results as ALPHA and do a -READFILE to put the value in an &variable.

Hope this helps.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Expert
posted Hide Post
I'm sure John figured this out 4 1/2 years ago!
Otto seems to be testing the Kool-aid...

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Tom, are you telling me that I was not careful enough to check the date of the original post and pretty wasted my time at this? Eeker

Oh well, it was good for me at least ... it served as a refresher Wink

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.