Focal Point
[SOLVED] WebFOCUS and relational operators

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8087010766

January 30, 2014, 10:57 AM
linnex
[SOLVED] WebFOCUS and relational operators
Hi everyone,

today I was really suprised when I saw the following line of WF code from a collegue (WF 7.7.03 - still works in 7.7.05)

WHERE FIELD1 = &FILTER.QUOTEDSTRING; 

I though, well this will never work. But actually - yes - it does work.
While I could not find it anywhere in any document or this forum:

The assignment operator "=" can be used as a synonym for the relational op: "EQ".
I knew about "IS" - but "=" - well it known e.g. as the relational comparison op in SQL, Pascal ... but in WebFOCUS?

I also tried it in DM - and well, it works, too.

-SET &TEST = IF 0 = 1 THEN 'YES' ELSE 'NO';
-TYPE &TEST
-* a.m. &TEST matches
-SET &TEST = IF 0 EQ 1 THEN 'YES' ELSE 'NO';
-TYPE &TEST

But, as you might guess, and we are working in WebFOCUS: all the other known ops like "<", ">", "<>", "<=", ">=" -> they do not work / are not symbolic for "LT" etc.

I do not say, that I prefer "EQ" to "=", but hey - if we are ongoingly talking about WebFOCUS and code-tightening - why introduce 2 symbols for the equality operator (and not for the other relational operators).

IMHO this is the complete opposite of a tightend reporting language.

Cheers Linne

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
January 30, 2014, 11:45 AM
Francis Mariani
They never introduced the = to be equivalent to EQ, the code tightening hasn't caught up to this coding mistake yet.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
January 30, 2014, 03:25 PM
Waz
Yes, its been there for a very long time.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

January 31, 2014, 10:55 AM
njsden
It may stop working in WF 8.0.25 or WF 8.3.01 HotFix 7 or any other interesting release in the future. Better to get rid of it now and stick to the standard and documented operators Smiler

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.