Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Queuing: Queue_Max_user_conns setting

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Queuing: Queue_Max_user_conns setting
 Login/Join

Master
posted
We sometimes have an issue with impatient users clicking RUN on their report when they don't think the results are appearing fast enough ("Hmm, seems to be slow, maybe submitting it again will help it speed up").

Will Queuing (specifically the Queue_Max_user_conns setting) help this situation by disallowing them from hitting Run more than a specified number of times?

- ABT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Having the option "Queue_Max_user_conns" will not solve your problem, it only put in queing the run request of a user where the number of request exceed the value set to option "max_connections_per_user".

Per exemple, in my case I have "max_connections_per_user" set at 1 and "Queue_Max_user_conns" to "Y", so a user cannot have more than one deferred request running at the same time but will have other request in the queue. But they will all run one after the other...

I don't know any solution to avoid a user to press multiple time the run button and nor solution to avoid impatient users :-)

WF 7.6.11 HF4 gen34, WF 7.7.03 gen 253,
Windows 64 bit
Excel, PDF, HTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi ABT,

Here is suggestion from our technicals: when it queues the user, it will go into that pool of (total maximum number of queued connection). That is, there is no distinction (during queuing) that this person should not submit any more jobs. Potentially you can now fill up the queue with repeated requests.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Kerry, I was actually after the exact opposite. I was being a bit sarcastic about my users and their thought process.

Do the technicals have any suggestions about preventing users from repeatedly clicking Run/Submit? My users would be using MRE via a BID.

- ABT

WF Environment:

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
No idea if this is going to be possible at all, just a thought ...
After clicking the submit button, could it perhaps be possible to grey the submit button (or make in invisible) before actually submitting the request? If that's possible to do, then the user simply cannot click twice.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
GamP,
These are plain old auto prompting pages. I was thinking this would have to be done at a coding level, like write a record to a DB for the execute, and then read that DB to see if that user has executed that program within a defined period of time. If so, they are rerunning and prevent it. If not, let it pass.

Wondering what IBI had out of the box to prevent this? Resource Governor?

One of the other forum sites I visit has a feature preventing non-logged in users from searching but every 15 seconds. Conceptually, I know its possible, just the difference in 'off the shelf' and 'roll your own'.

- ABT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ABT,

WF Environment: