Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     URL encoding and SQL

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
URL encoding and SQL
 Login/Join

posted
I am trying to understand how WebFOCUS handles URL encoding and decoding. It seems like when variables are sent to a focexec through the url (from form fields), all of the characters are being properly encoded (%27, for example), but by the time the variables are process in the focexec, these values are decoded again. This means that potentially malicious characters are being processed through our .FEXs and into SQL statements. Is there an option to prevent this decoding from taking place?

Much thanks,
Kyle

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
Windows
Output: Excel, PDF, HTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
Can you give me examples of "malicious characters"?

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure: ; ' < > ( ) etc.

Basically stuff that would make SQL unhappy.

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why these characters would make SQL unhappy. If they're used in a WHERE statement, they're most likely within quote characters so they would be treated as an alpha string.

-SET &TEST1 = 'D<T';

SET SQLENGINE  = DB2
-RUN

SQL
SELECT * 
FROM BASEL.TIME_D
WHERE NOT (PERIOD_TYPE LIKE '&TEST1')
FETCH FIRST 100 ROWS ONLY
END
-RUN

This works for all the characters you mention, except the single quote character.

Handling that character is most likely a WebFOCUS issue, not a SQL one and can be resolved by using the QUOTEDSTRING suffix. With this method, all the characters you mention would work without any problem:

-SET &TEST1 = 'D'T';

-*-- or -SET &TEST1 = 'D)T';

SET SQLENGINE  = DB2
-RUN

SQL
SELECT * 
FROM BASEL.TIME_D
WHERE NOT (PERIOD_TYPE LIKE &TEST1.QUOTEDSTRING )
FETCH FIRST 100 ROWS ONLY
END
-RUN

By the way, my guess is that the temporary encoding you describe is normal browser behaviour, the characters are encoded while in the URL, but are automatically decoded when they get passed to whatever program receives them.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Francis, thanks for the reply.

If we have an SQL statement like

SELECT * FROM owners WHERE username = '" &NAME "'

The problem is when something like this gets inserted into the url:

&NAME=junk';DROP TABLE owners; SELECT * FROM data WHERE info LIKE '%

Even when using MODIFYs instead of direct SQL statements, if these characters don't remain safely escaped they could cause serious damage to the data.

Does that make sense? It could very well be default browser behavior; I'm just trying to understand how to prevent these SQL injections in WebFOCUS.

Thanks again!

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
If you're worried about somebody passing this kind of stuff to WebFOCUS then I imagine there are issues with your network/database/WebFOCUS security. I don't see how an encoded character would protect you from "DROP TABLE owners;".

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Or you may have to examine the incoming data for unwanted characters and removing them before executing the SQL.

Or javascript on the page itself to evaluate the data before sending it to WebFOCUS.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I think you are right about the encoding stuff being the wrong way to handle it... Instead of filtering out bad characters (or allowing good ones), it'd be good to know how WebFOCUS translates TABLE FILEs and MODIFY FILEs into SQL.

Do &vars get inserted into the SQL request and evaluated as SQL, or does WebFOCUS use prepare statements where the SQL is evaluated and THEN &variables are inserted?

WebFOCUS 7.6.x
Windows

Expert
posted Hide Post
Have you tried turning the SQL Trace on? You can see the SQL that gets generated by WebFOCUS.

See how to turn traces on here: Report never seems to stop running

amper variables get inserted into the WebFOCUS code as alphanumeric strings and become part of the code. The generated SQL is a SELECT statement translated from the WebFOCUS code, after the amper variables are inserted into the code.

Francis