Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Cubes vs Source Tables

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Cubes vs Source Tables
 Login/Join

posted
My client has purchased the adapter for MS SQL Server as well as the adapter for MS SQL Server Analysis Services (cubes).

Besides the basic install manuals, I can find precious little in the way of guidelines or "best practices" to determine when I should direct my requests to a cube as the source or when I should point to the base sql tables/views. If someone can locate an ibi doc to this affect, TIA.

This seems to me a very timely topic with cubes all the rage these days. Since there doesn't appear to be a thread on this one let's get this discussion going here.

I would sure appreciate any input in the way of analysis/benchmarking or just general experiences in the area of cubes vs tables/views. I'm particularly interested in performance considerations, but if you know of any pitfalls, war stories, or just general advice you can share, please do.

Kindly,
Commando Dave

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Commando Dave,

<JG>
posted
The principle reason for using cubes is because the business logic is already built in if you use
Properly constructed queries, additionally the data is normally aggregated to the required reporting levels.

As a general rule use cubes for summary reports and source data for detail transaction type reports.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
OK this is amazing! I have found a topic where you usually talkative people have nothing to say. I am guessing this is indicative of nobody having any experience to share...

JG, are you speaking theoretically or have you actually done some work with cubes vs tables.

Once I get things set up here next week, I plan to report back with some empirical results and I'll let you know if I run into any snags as my work progresses.

-Commando Dave

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Our experience using MSSQL Analysis Services was mixed. AS JG states, the business logic built into the cubes and the aggregation "pre-performed" was useful and pretty efficient. However, the financial data we were reporting from (Walker Financials which has been bought and sold a couple of times since) was for company financial statement and required the use of WebFOCUS' FML functionality. We could NOT get it to work properly based on how Walker was telling us to use the cubes. So we ended up flattening out all the data required for the needed account hierarchies, then joining back to the cubes for the finacial data

For other reasons, we ended up dumping the Walker Financials project altogether so all my work was for naught. My understanding of the cubes was only from what Walker was telling me (which didn't always seems to be very clear or consistent) so I don't know if our problem were from lack of proper design, lack of understanding of the design, or if there was some real issue with the cubes and FML functionality. Most like one of the first two.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I have some limited experience with Essbase and I have found that you have to provide a WHERE clause for every dimension. Kind of a pain.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
<JG>
posted
From experience, I've done a little bit with the MS Analysis server and MSSQL
and a great deal with SAP BW and R/3

Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Commando Dave:
My client has purchased the adapter for MS SQL Server as well as the adapter for MS SQL Server Analysis Services (cubes).

Besides the basic install manuals, I can find precious little in the way of guidelines or "best practices" to determine when I should direct my requests to a cube as the source or when I should point to the base sql tables/views. If someone can locate an ibi doc to this affect, TIA.

This seems to me a very timely topic with cubes all the rage these days. Since there doesn't appear to be a thread on this one let's get this discussion going here.

I would sure appreciate any input in the way of analysis/benchmarking or just general experiences in the area of cubes vs tables/views. I'm particularly interested in performance considerations, but if you know of any pitfalls, war stories, or just general advice you can share, please do.

Kindly,
Commando Dave

from my limited knowledge what you need to think about is how the data will be assembled and accessed- if its lots of infrequently queried historical data then there are certain ways you should store it cubewise, like JG says you want cubes for summary data and tables/views for details but there are different storage options (HOLAP, ROLAP, MOLAP) for different data requirements and i'd seriously consider whether you actually need to use a cube at all before anything else...

do you have loads of data that is accessed at the summary level regularly?

is it slow to access this summary detail?

how often is the detail drilled into?

cubes to me often mean you have so much data that its too slow to simply summarize it as its read from the table- this is generally where cubes come in, again i feel you may get a better reponse from a MSDN or SQL forum...

Developer Studio 7.64
Win XP
Output: mostly HTML, also Excel and PDF

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity." - Heinlein's Razor

Posts: 285 | Location: UK | Registered: October 26, 2007Report This Post