Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Suggested naming conventions for webfocus project files?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Suggested naming conventions for webfocus project files?
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have a suggested set of focexec and html naming conventions for keeping track of all the various assets in a webfocus project and their functions?

I'm especially having trouble differentiating html files that are included in a -HTMLFORM statement (and thus are in the APP PATH of the server) vs HTML files that are in the web server path only. Since you can have both types in a project, it can be easy to get confused, especially if you have multiple developers working on the same projects.

For example, let's say that you have 2 projects. One is initialized by a fex that does a -htmlform of a HTML. The other is started by a HTML that subsequently executes a fex. Anyone have a novel way for naming these fexs/files so that it's immediately obvious what is going on?

Expert
posted Hide Post
well, i use MRE and a self-serv app, and here's what i do.
If, for example, my project is in the area of SHIPMENTS
then in mre when i write all my fexes in whatever domain, the first 3 charactes of the fexname are SHP followed by whatever i need to distinguish order.
SHP01000.FEX
SHP01100.FEX would be the first drilldown from SHP01000.
My html launch pages in my selfserv (different directory structure entirely) are:
SHP01000.ASP which is the launch page for that fex.
In MRE, in the serveral different domains that access that same fex, the launch pages are
SHP01000.HTM
and they launch a fex named SHP01000.FEX in this domain which actually runs the fex of the exact same name, but in my main domain (which is the "untitled" one, how unoriginal of me) and it runs it this way:
-MRNOEDIT BEGIN
-INCLUDE D:\ibi\webfocus52\basedir\untitled\app\shp01000.fex
-MRNOEDIT END
In MRE, in Domain Builder, when you create a new fex, you name it withthe first 8 characters being the name you want the file to really have.
After you've named it and saved it, you can then edit the display name in the PROPERTIES box to say anything you want it to say.
SO, what i do is have a LAYERED nomenclature for every project area. and its only the suffix that changes. and then the numbers denote where it fits in the drilldown tree.
Works for me

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My html launch pages in my selfserv (different directory structure entirely) are:
SHP01000.ASP which is the launch page for that fex.
In MRE, in the serveral different domains that access that same fex, the launch pages are
SHP01000.HTM
and they launch a fex named SHP01000.FEX in this domain which actually runs the fex of the exact same name, but in my main domain (which is the "untitled" one, how unoriginal of me) and it runs it this way:
-MRNOEDIT BEGIN
-INCLUDE D:\ibi\webfocus52\basedir\untitled\app\shp01000.fex
-MRNOEDIT END

Was doing a search on how to handle the same report in multiple domains (of course, don't want to have to maintain multiple copies of the same report, but in our case, doesn't make sense to put it in another domain).
Just want to make sure I understand what your case scenario is....

[LIST]Y
  • You have the same report that needs to be in multiple domains.
  • You create the report as a .fex, not html
  • you then create a page that launches this report (is this using basic html or using the html painter?)
  • then you put that code in the html page?
  • then add the URL in the domain along with your other reports?

Thanks in advance!
    oceannative

Prod: WebFOCUS 7.1.6 - on Win 2K3/Tomcat - MRE/BID/RCaster/VisDis and AS400 (JDEWorld)
  •  
    Posts: 23 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 16, 2006Report This Post