Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     ***CLOSED bar / area graph?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
***CLOSED bar / area graph?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I am not sure how to ask this. It is possible because I accidently caused it to happen and then ended up having to delete the code to undo it.

Using the graph GUI in WF8, I want to plot a graph showing total dollars by month (Jan - Dec for TWO years; current vs prior year. The table structure is such that we have a month column (01-Jan, 02-Feb, 03-Mar etc) and a dollars column and a year column. We do NOT have two separate dollar columns, one for each year.

The trick is we want the current year represented with bars and the prior year resented as an area.

1) Is there a methodolgy to do this and if so can someone desccribe it.

2) I suspected you needed TWO measures so for fun I brought units in along with dollars. Sure enough I could set one a bar on as area.

3) I took units off the graph and suddenly my current year turned to area and prior to bar! No idea how this happened nor could I change it back. I saw nothing in the code causing this. Eventually I deleted the code and now have a simple bar graph again.

Is there a proven way to do what I want ...other than by accident!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RobertF,

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
for now I created a hpld file creating two measures, Cur Year and Prior Year...still curious if it can be done with one field....

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs

posted Hide Post
You can "bucketize" using DEFINE fields as:
This_Year/D12=IF TRANS_DATE GE THIS_YEAR_START THEN AMOUNT ELSE 0;
Last_Year/D12=IF TRANS_DATE LT THIS_YEAR_START THEN AMOUNT ELSE 0;

This presumes you can find equivalent way to get TRANS_DATE and THIS_YEAR_START from your data.

With that you can pull your two years of data and graph This_Year and Last_Year without requiring a HOLD file.

Once you have your two series (This_Year and Last_Year) as Measures and Month as your X-Axis, then you can use the GUI to specify that one of them should be a Bar and the other an Area as follows:
1. Select the one that you want to be different (assuming that they are both Bars at the moment).
2. On the Ribbon you should see a tab for "Series". Click it.
3. On the left edge of the ribbon you will see a drop down for "Series". Pull that down and select the series you want.
4. On the Ribbon you will see an icon for "Type". Pull that down and you will be able to switch the selected series to Bar, Line or Area.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sandy Stulberger,

Posts: 8 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: May 05, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Yes, essentially I did that.

I'll assume there is not a consistent way to do it with one measure....

WebFOCUS 8206.08
Windows, All Outputs