Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Date Default
 Login/Join

posted
I am using a fex to pull all the dates out of a db table for reporting. The .mas
it creates currently holds all the dates for every Thursday since 1/1/04.
I then have a parameter set in my report that pulls the dates from this .mas
file. How can I get my report to default to the latest date in the file? I've
tried setting the variable manually, using the DEFAULT statement, nothing seems
to work.
Can you help?

Expert
posted Hide Post
first, a .mas file doesn't hold dates, its a master file description. unless of course you're holding in an MSAccess file? are you?
Have your fex read that file for the HIGHEST 1 THURSDAY , or whatever your field is called.
If your fex launches from a parameter-driven launch page, then
1. read your hold file to get the highest thursday
-READ HOLD &DEFDAY.A8 (or whatever it is)
-DEFAULT &LAUNCH = 'LIVE';
-SET &MYDATE = IF &LAUNCH EQ 'LIVE' THEN &USERDAY ELSE &DEFDAY ;
where &USERDAY is the date selected by the user from a launch page, &DEFDAY is the date you read from your date file, and &MYDATE is the parm that your fex uses. When you launch this fex from a menu, you set LAUNCH=DEFAULT which overrides the default setting in the fex.
When you launch this fex from a parm-drive launch page, you have this parm hidden as LAUNCH=LIVE.
That's how we do it, anyway.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I misspoke. The dates are being held in a hold file, sorted from newest to oldest. However, when I use that hold file as the source for my drop down list in the html painter, it sorts oldest to newest. I have run the fex that creates the hold file and checked the output and it is in fact in newest to oldest order.
I am not all that proficient with the language as yet, so most of what you told me is over my head. Could you put it in terms a dope like I could understand?
Thanks.

<Special-K>
posted
You could TABLE the date HOLD file into a second HOLD file "BY HIGHEST 1 date". This would produce a second HOLD file with 1 record in it that consisted of the highest date in your original HOLD file.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for your suggestions. However, I found out from tech support and more research of my own that the hold file has to be in xml format and the actual procedure used as the source for the list box. Using the table in the hold file as the datasource will always default to lowest to highest sorting.