Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Using Join Fields Cuts my Result Set in Half

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Using Join Fields Cuts my Result Set in Half
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
This has been perplexing me for several hours now, but the setting is pretty simple.

I have one table (call it TABLE_DATA) with many records, and I'm joining it to another table (TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP) that should return just one record.

Here's my join:
 JOIN
 T_SPS_TOA_LOT_LOAD AT T_SPS_TOA_LOT_LOAD.T_SPS_TOA_LOT_LOAD.LOAD_ID
 TO UNIQUE TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP AT TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP.TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP.LOAD_ID
 TAG J0 AS J0
 END 

I am then using the two single fields in my HEADING:
  HEADING
"TOA Lot Load"
"Client: <TABLE_DATA.TABLE_DATA.CLIENT_ID "
"CUSIP: <J0.TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP.CUSIP"
"Custody Account #: <J0.TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP.CUSTODY_ACCOUNT" 

I then set a READLIMIT for testing, and no matter what I put in for READLIMIT, it returns exactly half the results. So if I ask for 100, it gives me 50 records back. If I remove the fields from the HEADING, then it returns the full 100 records.

Does anyone have a clue what's going on? This is driving me nuts!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J.Hines,

Prod: 8.2.0.4 OS:Windows 10 Output:AHTML, Excel 2007+

The life of a designer is a life of fight against the ugliness.

Posts: 141 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 10, 2012Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If they're in the heading, once can assume they're dimensions, so make sure you have BY fieldname NOPRINT.

JOIN
 T_SPS_TOA_LOT_LOAD AT T_SPS_TOA_LOT_LOAD.T_SPS_TOA_LOT_LOAD.LOAD_ID
 TO UNIQUE TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP AT TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP.TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP.LOAD_ID
 TAG J0 AS J0
 END 

TABLE FILE T_SPS_TOA_LOT_LOAD
SUM
BY TABLE_DATA.TABLE_DATA.CLIENT_ID NOPRINT
BY J0.TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP.CUSIP NOPRINT
BY J0.TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP.CUSTODY_ACCOUNT NOPRINT

HEADING
"TOA Lot Load"
"Client: <TABLE_DATA.TABLE_DATA.CLIENT_ID "
"CUSIP: <J0.TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP.CUSIP"
"Custody Account #: <J0.TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP.CUSTODY_ACCOUNT"
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I gave that a try, but it still returns just half.

I also just tried changing to WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ XXX, and that did "fix" it in the sense that all the records were returned, but I don't want to sue that because we could be talking about a difference of one- to two-hundred thousand records, and I really just want to see the first (say 5000) pulled, not wait for everything to come back first.

Also, if I take off any limit, I get back all the records correctly as well. It's just 156,000 of them, which is why I leave the full to Excel, but in the web just do a READLIMIT of 5000.

So is there something about READLIMIT that's special and causing this halving?

Posts: 141 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 10, 2012Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
This starts to ring some very distant bells ...

I seem to remember that if the total length of the fields in the MFD (now called a Synonym) isn't correct then Focus (as it was then) would read every other line correctly. You might check and see if you are getting the every other line syndrome - and therefore only half the records you are expecting.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Jess,
Are you joining 2 SQL tables?
If so, take a look at how WF translated to SQL.
Another possibility: you use JOIN... AT and not JOIN... IN. Maybe you need a WHERE in your JOIN?

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
George:
quote:
You might check and see if you are getting the every other line syndrome - and therefore only half the records you are expecting.

Thanks, but no, it's getting every line up to half the READLIMIT, then cutting off.

Danny:
I am joining 2 SQL Server tables. The Join language is what was generated by the GUI tool:
 JOIN
 INNER FILE TABLE_DATA
  AT  TABLE_DATA.TABLE_DATA.LOAD_ID
 TO UNIQUE FILE TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP 
 AT TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP.TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP.LOAD_ID
 TAG J0 AS J0
 WHERE
 ( TABLE_DATA.TABLE_DATA.LOAD_ID EQ J0.TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP.LOAD_ID ) 
 AND ( TABLE_DATA.TABLE_DATA.LOAD_ID EQ '&Load_Id' );
 END 

I also checked the SQL, and unless I'm missing something, it looks correct, as I expected. If I set WHERE READLIMIT EQ 5000 then I will only get back 2500 records, but the SQL looks like this. Running this SQL at the database does return 5000 records:
 SELECT TOP 5000 T1.LOAD_ID
(other fields)
FROM (server).dbo.TABLE_DATA T1,
(server).dbo.TABLE_DATA_LOOKUP T2
WHERE
(T2.LOAD_ID = T1.LOAD_ID) AND
(T1.LOAD_ID = 'ESRX20140319093140') AND
(T1.LOAD_ID = 'ESRX20140319093140')

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Ooo, I just thought of a possible answer, but maybe others can confirm this.

READLIMIT is a limit on the number of read operations, NOT the number of records pulled (as the documentation states). So if I have a join, then for each RECORD in the left table, I'm performing two READS, one for each table, right? Thus the halving.

Now, the documentation for 7.7.0.3 also states that READLIMIT is:
quote:
a number greater than 0, and indicates the number of records to be retrieved.

What I'm primarily after with all of this is quickly returning a max of 5000 records to the user, and I was under the impression that RECORDLIMIT would pull everything, but only display 5000, which I didn't want because I don't want the user waiting forever as it cranks over say half a million rows before getting just 5000 rows back.

But I've also head from very knowledgeable people, including Bob Zinn that this is indeed what happens:
READLIMIT is translated in SQL to SELECT TOP whereas RECORDLIMIT is not, and thus you always get everything back from the table that matches your other WHERE criteria .

So then another question is this: If my table has say 1 million rows, and my WHERE key=some_value clause is pulling out a subset of 100,000 rows, is RECORDLIMIT then applied after the SQL runs?
I think this is the case since if I want 5000 records out of 150,000, doubling READLIMIT to 10000 is still much faster than doing RECORDLIMIT at 5000.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J.Hines,

Expert
posted Hide Post
The answer is yes, READLIMIT gives TOP n in MS SQL and WHERE ROWNUM = n in Oracle SQL whilst RECORDLIMIT will be applied to the result set from your query and not the query itself - which could be a tablespace scan which would explain why READLIMIT is generally faster than RECORDLIMIT against SQL sources.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What bothers me in your assumption about the number of READS is that you say:
"Running this SQL at the database does return 5000 records".
After all, WF generates the SQL and sends it to MSSQL, so there shouldn't be a difference between what the database retrieves and what WF retrieves. Unless there is another number returned by the database which WF tests and stops the display.
A question though: I see that the condition "T1.LOAD_ID = 'ESRX20140319093140'" is issued twice. Could this have anything to do with it?

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Running this SQL at the database does return 5000 records:

Missed that! Frowner

Like Danny I find that a little disconcerting.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I thought so too at first, but since it's reading from two tables, it's doing two "reads" for each record that I pull, hence it stops at 2500.

I haven't tried, but I would be willing to bet that if I joined to a third table and put a ReadLimit of 33 on, I would only get back 11 rows.