Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] doing a Sql Pass thru Update and Getting a return Code

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] doing a Sql Pass thru Update and Getting a return Code
 Login/Join

posted
I am doing an update thru sql passthru and I am tyring to get a status where I know if it did any updates.

SQL SQLMSS
UPDATE NONCONFORM.dbo.NCEMAILADDRESS
SET emEmail = '&F2'
WHERE emVendor = &F1;
TABLE FILE SQLOUT1
PRINT
ON TABLE HOLD AS SQLOUT1
END

-RUN

-SET &R1 = &RECORDS;
-SET &R2 = &RETCODE;
-SET &R3 = &LINES;
-TYPE LINES: &R3
-TYPE SQL ERROR: &R2
-TYPE RECORDS: &R1

What i get back is this.

(FOC1364) ROWS AFFECTED BY PASSTHRU COMMAND  : 0/UPDATE
 LINES:        0
 SQL ERROR:        0
 RECORDS:        0

How do i get a status code that tells me how many records were affected?

On a update where there is records i get the same results

(FOC1364) ROWS AFFECTED BY PASSTHRU COMMAND  : 1/UPDATE
 SQL ERROR:        0

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

PROD: WF 7.1.3 on Win 2003/IIS 6/Self-Serve & MRE
TEST: We dont need no Stinking Test Server!

Expert
posted Hide Post
You can change a setting on the adapter.

Look for "Obtaining the Number of Rows Updated or Deleted" in Adapter Administration for UNIX, Windows, OpenVMS, i5/OS, and z/OS V7.6.2. It's

ENGINE [SQLMSS] SET PASSRECS {ON|OFF}

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You can code the command in the FEX itself, just before your update - then &RECORDS should be populated by the number of rows affected.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ENGINE [SQLMSS] SET PASSRECS {ON|OFF}

My data adapter already has the option turned on. I evan tried entering the line in the fex and it always returns 0.

PROD: WF 7.1.3 on Win 2003/IIS 6/Self-Serve & MRE
TEST: We dont need no Stinking Test Server!

Master
posted Hide Post
Try removing this code, you are doing an update you haven't done a select.

quote:
TABLE FILE SQLOUT1
PRINT
ON TABLE HOLD AS SQLOUT1
END

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
First, I don't think the FOCUS or WebFOCUS ever puts anything in any & variable for SQL INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE.

With your app, the thing to keep in mind is that when doing updates like this, you are only doing 1 row at a time so your status:
(FOC1364) ROWS AFFECTED BY PASSTHRU COMMAND  : 1/UPDATE

is telling you that your program update the row.

To do multiple rows, if all of your updates are in SAVE.FTM you have to do something like this:
-LOOP1
-READ SAVE NOCLOSE &AGENCY.3. &FUND.8. &SFY.4. &WARRANT.10. &CLIENT.8.,
-, &SEQ.5. &PLCSQ.5. &CASEID.8.
-IF &IORETURN NE 0 THEN GOTO END1;
 SET SQLENGINE=SQLORA
 SQL SET SERVER KIDS
 SQL UPDATE TCLIENT_PAYMENT
        SET CAS_ID = &CASEID ,
            PLC_SEQ_NBR = &PLCSQ
      WHERE AGCY_ISSUED_BY = &AGENCY
        AND FUND_PAID_FROM = &FUND
        AND STATE_FISCAL_YR = &SFY
        AND WARRANT_NBR = &WARRANT
        AND CL_ID = &CLIENT
        AND SEQ_NBR = &SEQ ;
 SQL COMMIT ;
 END
-RUN
-GOTO LOOP1
-END1
-CLOSE SAVE

With this, you will get a FOC1364 for every update. This can generate a lot of output if one is updating hundreds or thousands of rows. That is why I will set PASSRECS ON or OFF depending on the number of rows expected. If you set PASSRECS OFF, the you can do your own counts within the Dialogue Manager.

Note, even MODIFY generates a separate SQL UPDATE command for every transaction. But MODIFY does an additional SQL SELECT to see if the row exists. By coding your own SQL UPDATE, you save the I/O for that additional SQL SELECT.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
jgelona,

You're right and you're wrong.

You're right about &RECORDS not being updated even though PASSRECS is set to ON. The manual states:

quote:
In addition, the adapter updates the &RECORDS system variable with the number of rows affected. You can access this variable using Dialogue Manager

You're wrong about the number of rows updated by a SQL script coded like Wilky's example.

Here's a script I ran:

ENGINE SQLMSS SET PASSRECS ON
-RUN

SQL SQLMSS
UPDATE EIDW.dbo.SAPI_Save
SET OUTPUTFORMAT = 'HTML'
WHERE OUTPUTFORMAT = 'PDF';
END
-RUN

-TYPE &RECORDS

The result:

(FOC1364) ROWS AFFECTED BY PASSTHRU COMMAND  : 45/UPDATE

So, a simple SQL update command can update multiple rows, even if it's not driven by some input data file.

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
Francis, I took the original posters question to be about keyed updates, like MODIFY. I also do updates like your example were I want to update multiple rows based on an index or partial key and get results like your example.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I just run into the same problem and found this on the forum.
So what is the precise problem?
And (if there is one) what is the precise solution?

Posts: 14 | Registered: September 23, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Minos,

What is your problem with this?
Because what this topic describes is that when you do a sql passthru command, then you will not be notified of the amount of records affected other then in this message (FOC1364) string, regardless of the SET PASSRECS setting.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post